Question Noob questions - - - - do I need a new PC ?

Sephi_Toderas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
Good day,

My current configuration that I bought in 2020 (2023 for the video card) is as follows :

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K, 10x 3.7 GHz, 20MB L3 Cache
MBO: MSI Z490 GAMING CARBON WIFI, So. 1200
GRA: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (MSI Gaming X Trio)
RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Rev. S (2x16GB = 32GB)
1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, M.2 PCIe (MZ-V7S1T0E)

It still runs most games like a dream but I worry of bottlenecks.

Should I replace something or am I good for a while?

Thank you

Sephi_Toderas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
With that setup I highly doubt you'd need an upgrade unless you're chasing every frame. The higher the resolution you play at the less important this will be. HUB put up an interesting video regarding scaling, resolutions and CPUs the other day:
View: https://youtu.be/98RR0FVQeqs?si=50vh5WB7fiSfesqK

Thanks! No I am not chasing it but someone talked yesterday how they realized their system bottlenecked the 4090 and he only realized after half a year; did an upgrade and he was baffled.

My understanding is that the only better this MB still supports is the 11900K, which is not worth the trouble. i might be wrong.
You're correct, and it's not worth it, so you would have to replace motherboard, CPU, DRAM and potentially cooler.
Thanks! No I am not chasing it but someone talked yesterday how they realized their system bottlenecked the 4090 and he only realized after half a year; did an upgrade and he was baffled.
Yeah you're not going to get the best performance with your current platform, but it's still going to be very good. TPU's old test platform was a 5800X which should be about the same performance as yours and they've since switched to a 14900K so you can compare some of the results (they've changed some of the tests, but there's a few that are comparable) for the 4090 here if you're interested (I know the BFV tests are the same, but there should be some others):
new test rig:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-founders-edition/11.html
old test rig:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-founders-edition/7.html

Reactions: Sephi_Toderas
Good day,

My current configuration that I bought in 2020 (2023 for the video card) is as follows :

Thank you
If your happy with the perf leave it alone.

If your bored run your stuff and watch cpu/gpu/ram usage.

Good day,

Thank you
There's always a bottle neck to some point! if you just game on your PC its fine. if you have a itch you need to scratch then jump to AMD new AM5 platform or wait to intel releases their next platform ( also new GPU for both NVidia and AMD sometime in the next 6 months

Last edited:
Reactions: Sephi_Toderas
OP just came here to brag about his 4090.
It's top high end gaming system. It can not be upgraded significantly (for a significant improvement)..
All those upgrade recommendations are just ridiculous (and waste of money).

And there is no bottleneck. You can shift bottleneck from/to cpu/gpu just by changing resolution (or DLSS settings).

Reactions: stonecarver

Sephi_Toderas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
OP just came here to brag about his 4090.
It's top high end gaming system. It can not be upgraded significantly.
All those upgrade recommendations are just ridiculous (and waste of money).

And there is no bottleneck. You can shift bottleneck from/to cpu/gpu just by changing resolution (or DLSS settings).

What a massively negative assumption. I would never waste time on bragging, and I worked hard for my PC.

You're extremely negative and unpleasant, please never post in my threads again.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
The machine is still good. Upgrading to a LGA motherboard and CPU would be an improvement but a very expensive one.

Better wait another 2 years and see what's available.

4090 doesn't need replacing until your games start to chug.

Sephi_Toderas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
The machine is still good. Upgrading to a LGA motherboard and CPU would be an improvement but a very expensive one.

Better wait another 2 years and see what's available.

4090 doesn't need replacing until your games start to chug.

Yes, this seems to be the best solution here. Thank you