News Nvidia blames Intel for GPU VRAM errors, tells GeForce gamers experiencing 13th or 14th Gen CPU instability to contact Intel support

expunged

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
SO I have found a fix for games crashing for this error. download and install intel extreme tuning utility. BTW this works for 13th and 14th gen cpus. underclock the p cores. for me i went from x57 to x56 and it started working properly.

Amdlova

Distinguished
My 35w cpu with default bios on h670 asrock motherboard can draw at the wall 200w :) need to set everything 35w long power and 92w for maximum power... with this config the maximum draw at the wall 115w. The motherboard set almost double the power of what cpu can draw...

Apr 12, 2024
Definitely a Intel issue just bought a Brand new unreal workstation i9-13900kf 6750xt GPU 64gb ram. Unreal was crashing repeatedly. Couldn't even get 5.4 to launch. The fix was either under clock the CPU by about 200 mhz or turn on energy saver

Reactions: artk2219

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
My decision to purchase a Ryzen 9 7950x3d is looking even better now. 🤣
LOL I was thinking along very similar lines. I got a 7950X and my wife has the 7950X3D. I only went with AMD because I was tired of Intel builds (previous 3 PCs for us each) but AMD hadn't been competitive enough to get our business with Faildozer to justify an AMD build in years past. Coming from a Xeon 1680 V2 (8c16t Ivy bridge) for me and i7 970 & i7 laptop for my wife...we both had at least 100% or more in performance gains going from our old setups with Ryzen chips with 4090s. I am SOOO glad we went back to AMD. I only hope the AM5 socket gets three gens like their AM4 sockets did. It was one reason I made the AM5 over Intel hoping as much...but rumors make it sound like Zen 5 might be the end of the road for AM5. I only hope they are wrong.

Regardless this is a bad look for Intel in the high end and could well push more users to AMD. I am glad to see AMD have such a nice come back. I only hope both AMD and Intel stay competitive otherwise we will get a repeat of the +5-15% IPC upgrades we were doomed to during the early Core series CPUs/late Phenom toFaildozer years for a decade+ of stagnation. Be it AMD or Intel in the lead it doesn't really matter. Competition always leads to better cost to performance and better IPC gains for consumers in the long run. Stagnation is all to likely to return if one or the other pulls to far ahead. Time will tell.

I know for the foreseeable future I'll be hard pressed to recommend Intel CPUs to my friends and family until they can prove they are stable again in the mid-high end.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
SO I have found a fix for games crashing for this error. download and install intel extreme tuning utility. BTW this works for 13th and 14th gen cpus. underclock the p cores. for me i went from x57 to x56 and it started working properly.
I went with a small undervolt. And surprisingly enough, I score higher on Cinebench R23 and others than people that are overclocking their CPUs. Overclocking the 13900K and 14900K is a huge pain in the @$$. But some people are able to pull it off, and claiming "6.2GHz all core" or whatever. Thing is, they all thermal throttle WAY below that, and often below Intel's base speeds. I get in the high 42K on Cinebench R23 with a 1.35V and no thermal throttling.

I forgot to mention a LLC of 5, on an MSI motherboard. MSI and Asus has their LLC numbers opposite of each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sluggotg

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Definitely a Intel issue just bought a Brand new unreal workstation i9-13900kf 6750xt GPU 64gb ram. Unreal was crashing repeatedly. Couldn't even get 5.4 to launch. The fix was either under clock the CPU by about 200 mhz or turn on energy saver
I didn't know it was doing it on AMD GPUs too.
As I mentioned in another post on here, I went with locking the voltage down. 1.35V, and left the speed the same. It actually benchmarks faster than everyone that's overclocking because it doesn't thermal throttle.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I still want to know what it is about Unreal specifically that seems to expose whatever is going on. It's hardly the most demanding engine out there, and the issue doesn't crop up on only the heaviest titles either.
Shader compilation is one of the few game processes that can be extremely well multi-threaded and use every single core. On Ubuntu, for example, when Steam/Proton "compiles vulkan shaders" it hits every single one of my 5950X 32-threads.

Shader compilation is one of the few game processes that can be extremely well multi-threaded and use every single core. On Ubuntu, for example, when Steam/Proton "compiles vulkan shaders" it hits every single one of my 5950X 32-threads.
A large amount of current games compile shaders so if it was as simple as that the reports wouldn't be mostly isolated to UE. Not to mention the processors don't have issues running CPU benchmarks etc so it is something UE specifically is doing.

Apr 12, 2024
LOL I was thinking along very similar lines. I got a 7950X and my wife has the 7950X3D. I only went with AMD because I was tired of Intel builds (previous 3 PCs for us each) but AMD hadn't been competitive enough to get our business with Faildozer to justify an AMD build in years past. Coming from a Xeon 1680 V2 (8c16t Ivy bridge) for me and i7 970 & i7 laptop for my wife...we both had at least 100% or more in performance gains going from our old setups with Ryzen chips with 4090s. I am SOOO glad we went back to AMD. I only hope the AM5 socket gets three gens like their AM4 sockets did. It was one reason I made the AM5 over Intel hoping as much...but rumors make it sound like Zen 5 might be the end of the road for AM5. I only hope they are wrong.

Regardless this is a bad look for Intel in the high end and could well push more users to AMD. I am glad to see AMD have such a nice come back. I only hope both AMD and Intel stay competitive otherwise we will get a repeat of the +5-15% IPC upgrades we were doomed to during the early Core series CPUs/late Phenom toFaildozer years for a decade+ of stagnation. Be it AMD or Intel in the lead it doesn't really matter. Competition always leads to better cost to performance and better IPC gains for consumers in the long run. Stagnation is all to likely to return if one or the other pulls to far ahead. Time will tell.

I know for the foreseeable future I'll be hard pressed to recommend Intel CPUs to my friends and family until they can prove they are stable again in the mid-high end.
Yeah kinda but even underclocked with energy saver on I'm still getting 2600 single core and 18000 multi. I think it's more that the software doesn't know what to do with all that power. Because geekbench 6 was crashing for weeks couldn't even get a benchmark but the error code was saying that it thought it was a no good test because the benchmark was so fast.

Reactions: atomicWAR

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018

I'm thinking it's more of a bus thing. The CPU freq is pushing the bus past spec, and the GPU can't keep up.

Bigger question is why is this only happening to Nvidia and not AMD video cards?

Reactions: atomicWAR

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
A large amount of current games compile shaders so if it was as simple as that the reports wouldn't be mostly isolated to UE. Not to mention the processors don't have issues running CPU benchmarks etc so it is something UE specifically is doing.

It may be something as simple as UE using a faster and more intensive shader compiling algorithm.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
These top end chips are being pushed too hard and easily go into an unstable state it seems. Hence the recommendation to under clock. So in the end, Intel wanted to release the “ultimate” gaming chip, only for it to fail in games. Quite ironic.

Reactions: jp7189
intel just need to release a GPU that can run stable with their CPU and make a profit? I mean, its one way to sell them :)
This is about the shader compiling crashing and that is a CPU only thing, unless they make their GPUs work completely differently to such a degree that the shaders use completely different instructions during compiling they will still have the same issues.
But then their GPUs would work completely differently and nobody would make any effort to make their games work well on their GPUs.

They would have to implement something like an AVX offset, were the CPU recognizes shaders being compiled and takes the auto ridicuclocking back a step to keep from crashing.

Reactions: KyaraM and rluker5

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
This speaks to how hard pressed Intel is that they would condone motherboard vendors essentially overclocking by default to the point of instability just to try to keep up with AMD.