Question Nvidia GPU Drivers - Is there a log of previous versions?

someguy86

Reputable
May 17, 2019
Hello!

Apologies if this is in the wrong section first of all.

My issue is that I have blindly installed the latest Nvidia drivers and they have ruined by Jedi Survivor experience, dropping 20 frames in places. I want to reinstall whatever driver version I had previously, but I can't remember what one I had. I have done some googling and seen suggestions it is within Nvidia control panel but cannot see where, or that it can be found in event manager but that only had the most recent version as did DriverView from Nirsoft (unless I am using these things incorrectly). Anyone know if there is a proper log somewhere, seems odd there isn't.

Current installed driver: Nvidia control panel, bottom left corner, “System Information”.

To download previous driver versions: official advanced driver search

The OP is asking a different question. He wants to know which GPU driver version was previously installed and wants to check the LOG file.

Hello!

Apologies if this is in the wrong section first of all.

My issue is that I have blindly installed the latest Nvidia drivers and they have ruined by Jedi Survivor experience, dropping 20 frames in places. I want to reinstall whatever driver version I had previously, but I can't remember what one I had. I have done some googling and seen suggestions it is within Nvidia control panel but cannot see where, or that it can be found in event manager but that only had the most recent version as did DriverView from Nirsoft (unless I am using these things incorrectly). Anyone know if there is a proper log somewhere, seems odd there isn't.

Check under this location: Primary Drive:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2

Under the 'Installer2' folder, there are a few folders like e.g., Display.Driver.{5FD425C3-FA3D-48E3-97F7-88EAC10E38A9}, at least on my hard drive.

Under these folders, there are bunch of files like "DisplayDriver.nvi", nv_dispig etc. Open them with Notepad, and check the driver version here.

In my case I only have 2 main folders and those two folders have the above .NVI and nv_dispig files, but they do list the driver version at least in my case. So I presume these are LOG files listed in order of installation ?

Dunno, but give it a try.

DriverVer = 03/01/2024, 31.0.15.5176

DriverVer = 04/11/2024, 31.0.15.5222

I'm using the RTX 4060 GPU here by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: gardenman

gardenman

Splendid
I would go to Control Panel / Device Manager (press Win+R to open the Run dialog and type in control and press OK), find the driver listed in the Display Adapters section, right click on it and go to properties, choose the Driver tab, choose "Roll Back" which will roll back to the previous driver.

There's also this... which may help:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...check-failure-heres-how.3834400/post-23185870

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

someguy86

Reputable
May 17, 2019
I would go to Control Panel / Device Manager (press Win+R to open the Run dialog and type in control and press OK), find the driver listed in the Display Adapters section, right click on it and go to properties, choose the Driver tab, choose "Roll Back" which will roll back to the previous driver.

There's also this... which may help:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...check-failure-heres-how.3834400/post-23185870
Thank you, unfortunately the roll back function is greyed out! Anyway I shall experiment I suppose.

Thank you, unfortunately the roll back function is greyed out! Anyway I shall experiment I suppose.
I would follow MM/s advice, which WILL get you to the one YOU had previously installed (as long as you didn't already delete all of them via a thorough Disk Cleanup or DDU uninstall. You WILL have to look at the install date of each driver folder though, which Windows always shows under it's Date Modified list.