Question Outlook is not triggering my AutoArchive setting at startup ?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019

I have my Outlook AutoArchiving in Office Pro 2021 set to delete items in a certain folder every day, permanently deleting any items in that folder older than a day (set in the global settings and at the folder level). I notice this does not run at start, but requires I leave Outlook open long enough for it to trigger (sometimes 20-30 minutes).

I Googled it, and Microsoft says this: "The AutoArchive feature runs automatically whenever you start Outlook. Outlook checks the AutoArchive properties of each folder by date and moves old items to your archive file. Items that are moved to the Deleted Items folder are deleted."

Anyone know how to get this to feature to run as soon as the app is opened? That way, AutoArchive can be clearing out the selected folders while I'm checking/reading my emails?

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...atically-25f44f07-9b80-4107-841c-41dc38296667

Do you have the Advanced > AutoArchive > Auto Archive Settings window ?

I suggest that you simply work with the available settings even if that means that there is a bit of a wait before deletions begin.

Your requirement is to "immediately delete" emails from outlook folders which is not the same as archiving.

Archiving does support deletions but only after some time "X".

What may be needed is a Powershell Script that can be triggered at start up to directly delete the emails in the designated Outlook folders.

Powershell has such capabilities. Not something (full disclosure) that I have worked with.

Google:

"PowerShell delete email from Outlook folders" and then revise the search criteria as necessary for your requirements.

Possible starter link:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/purview/ediscovery-search-for-and-delete-email-messages

Overall though I would not want Outlook (or whatever) receiving, sending, sorting, archiving, and deleting emails all at the same time..... Allow Outlook the "time" it needs to work as designed.

Three thoughts:

1) Keep in mind that whatever you do there is the risk of deleting a needed/necessary email that "went astray".

2)Test throughly before implimenting.

3) Ensure that everything is backed up - which should being done anyway.