Question Parents build ... 5600G and B460 mobo - multiple monitors works, yes?

Snookslayer

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Parents are old - don't game. When they asked for a new build, I knew I could save on gpu. So, 5600G and found a B460 mobo with three (3) outputs: displayport, hdmi, avg. I've only had computers with graphic cards, and didn't know 3 monitors without a gpu was even a thing. So I googled it and lordy all the people complaining about how they can't get them to work with that cpu and a b460 mobo. Some couldn't even get two (2) monitors going.

So now I'm perplexed... will it work? My folks use a two-monitor set-up so the build has to at least do that. Can anyone re-assure me it'll display multiple monitors or should I start looking at an Intel build?

Lutfij

Titan
The B450 chipset is what you're looking for though you should be able to find a cheap B550 chipset motherboard. B460 is an Intel chipset, not an AMD chipset, so the AM4 APU you've mentioned above(the 5600G) will not work with aforementioned chipset.

Might want to read through this. I owned an A10-6800K and I did a dual monitor setup...the 5600G is a many generations later, it'll pull off a dual monitor setup without breaking a sweat.

What sort of motherboard are you lookin at?

Snookslayer

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Oops... typo "B450".

I was looking at Asus Prime B450M-A... actually now that I'm looking at it again, it's outputs DVI-D, hdmi, and avg.

Still, three (3) outputs made me start googling and that's where I got nervous. Apparently lots of people have had dual-monitor issues with the B450 paired with a 5600G.

Parents are old - don't game. When they asked for a new build, I knew I could save on gpu. So, 5600G and found a B460 mobo with three (3) outputs: displayport, hdmi, avg. I've only had computers with graphic cards, and didn't know 3 monitors without a gpu was even a thing. So I googled it and lordy all the people complaining about how they can't get them to work with that cpu and a b460 mobo. Some couldn't even get two (2) monitors going.

So now I'm perplexed... will it work? My folks use a two-monitor set-up so the build has to at least do that. Can anyone re-assure me it'll display multiple monitors or should I start looking at an Intel build?

If you want something that's gonna last go with cheapest b550 by Asus / gigabyte / asrock.

Stay away from MSI as there boards are hot garbage these days.

B550 allows for much better system compatibility. And allows for better and faster storage.

If you go with any motherboard without a heatsink make sure it's a top down cooler so it can blow cool air over the vrms.

Reactions: Snookslayer