Question PC goes black screen and reboot randomly

Fatess

Reputable
Dec 26, 2020
Hi,
my PC has been working fine until 2-3 days ago, when it started going black screen (on both screens), turning off mouse and keyboard lights and rebooting after about 30-90 seconds; when it reboots the screen continue to be black and it continues to reboot every minute or so.
When I turn it off from the power button and turn it back on, half of the times it works fine and the other half it's just black screen. Plus, when it works and turn back on it easily goes black screen again in a short time (while if I wait a bit it stays on).
Another recent problem (started a week ago or so) is that when I wake it up from suspention, almost always fans start spinning but nothing come to the screen.

The problem is that it does it completely randomly: sometimes while I'm playing, other times while I'm doing absolutely nothing. I tried stress testing CPU and GPU and it works completely fine, even stress testing both together. The only thing I noticed (and I'm not sure if it's normal or not) is that when I stress test both of them at the same time with FurMark, the power of the GPU every 4-5 seconds drops from 110% (I overclocked with MSI afterburner for the stress test) to 90-100%, and once to 30% after a stutter.

My configuration is:
CPU: i5 10500
GPU: RTX 3060
Mobo: Asus TUF gaming b460-plus
Cooler: Cooler Master X Dream i117 (it's a low profile cooler, but I wanted to write it because I changed from stock to this last week)
RAM: Corsair 2x8GB 3000MHz
PSU: Corsair TX650M 80 plus gold
Storage: Sabrent NVME 1GB PCIE 4.0 - SanDisk SSD - 4 HDD

What could be the problem?

EDIT:
It seems to always happen if I run a stress test for a while (more than 1 minute or so), but not during it (even if I run it for 10-15 minutes) but 2-3 seconds after I stop it, so when the work load goes down.
Plus, when it happens, after 10-15 seconds the CPU light on the MOBO turns on.
The CPU light turn on also when I turn on the PC and it stay black screen (without beeping).
Doing stress tests unplugging the gpu and using the integrated one doesn't lead to black screens.
I tried to unplug all HDDs and one RAM stick to decrease the load on the PSU, but it still goes to black screen.

The more I test, the more I'm confused >.<

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Cooler: Cooler Master X Dream i117 (it's a low profile cooler, but I wanted to write it because I changed from stock to this last week)
You didn't exactly upgrade your cooler if you bought that contraption, you were better off with the stock cooler.

How old is the PSU?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

You can try and see if reinstalling your GPU drivers helps. Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Fatess

Reputable
Dec 26, 2020
You didn't exactly upgrade your cooler if you bought that contraption, you were better off with the stock cooler.
It wasn't meant to be an upgrade, the stock one broke so I had to change it.
How old is the PSU?
3 and a half years, bought it in frebruary 2021
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?
You can try and see if reinstalling your GPU drivers helps. Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
I'll try, thanks.
Edit: it didn't work

Meanwhile, I've just added some more details in the post (in "EDIT")

Last edited: