Question PC Had Power Issues Now Acts Funky

Bloodshot_pico

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2015
pictostudio.co.uk
PC Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - 10.0.19045 Build 19045
  • Motherboard - MEG Z390 GODLIKE (MS-7B10)
  • BIOS – American Megatrends Inc. 1.D0, 01/11/2022
  • CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
  • Main Drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State
  • Second Drive - Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
  • Third Drive - Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit – Black

Issue:

About a week ago I left my PC on overnight, I’ve done this before and had no issues. Until recently the PC was on a black screen saying I need to reset my overclocking (I’ve never done over or under clocking), because of power issues and thought nothing of it. Pressed F1 that took me to the BIOS to reset all overclocking to default. Then booted into Windows, everything seemed normal until I tried shutting down. I can use the PC for 10 seconds to 10 minutes before it shows the shutting down screen. I’ve reinstalled Windows and I’m still getting the same issue. The other issues I’m getting are my sounds start crackling when using too many programs that play sounds, this did not happen before the issue with the PC not receiving power.

Along with the shutting down and sound issues the PC is also having problems with Windows explorer.exe showing files, regarding creating new files, deleting files, and moving/modifying them, instead of automatically updating itself I must manually right click and press the refresh button. And finally, the other issue is that the Quick Assist has either timed out or taken too long to connect.

So, what happened was my PC is plugged into an extension lead like a lot of my other devices without problem and has been for the past 4-5 years without issue. Until recently the extension cable was not plugged into the wall fully hence the power problems, but the PSU seems fine, there is not weird noises from the PSU along with when playing games like Call of Duty MW3 (2023) it does not power off the PC from full load.

I’m just looking for some support regarding these issues and if they can be resolved?

Thanks in advance,
~Blood

PC Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - 10.0.19045 Build 19045
  • Motherboard - MEG Z390 GODLIKE (MS-7B10)
  • BIOS – American Megatrends Inc. 1.D0, 01/11/2022
  • CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
  • Main Drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State
  • Second Drive - Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
  • Third Drive - Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit – Black

Issue:

About a week ago I left my PC on overnight, I’ve done this before and had no issues. Until recently the PC was on a black screen saying I need to reset my overclocking (I’ve never done over or under clocking), because of power issues and thought nothing of it. Pressed F1 that took me to the BIOS to reset all overclocking to default. Then booted into Windows, everything seemed normal until I tried shutting down. I can use the PC for 10 seconds to 10 minutes before it shows the shutting down screen. I’ve reinstalled Windows and I’m still getting the same issue. The other issues I’m getting are my sounds start crackling when using too many programs that play sounds, this did not happen before the issue with the PC not receiving power.

Along with the shutting down and sound issues the PC is also having problems with Windows explorer.exe showing files, regarding creating new files, deleting files, and moving/modifying them, instead of automatically updating itself I must manually right click and press the refresh button. And finally, the other issue is that the Quick Assist has either timed out or taken too long to connect.

So, what happened was my PC is plugged into an extension lead like a lot of my other devices without problem and has been for the past 4-5 years without issue. Until recently the extension cable was not plugged into the wall fully hence the power problems, but the PSU seems fine, there is not weird noises from the PSU along with when playing games like Call of Duty MW3 (2023) it does not power off the PC from full load.

I’m just looking for some support regarding these issues and if they can be resolved?

Thanks in advance,
~Blood
Sometimes, a failing power strip can cause a lot of problems. Try plugging the PC directly to the wall outlet, or into a different known good power strip and check performance.

Bloodshot_pico

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2015
pictostudio.co.uk
Sometimes, a failing power strip can cause a lot of problems. Try plugging the PC directly to the wall outlet, or into a different known good power strip and check performance.
Thanks for the heads up, I did switch the extension lead that it was plugged into though I have just went and bought a new power lead that can reach to the wall socket. Not to mention emailed both MSI and Samsung to see if they can shine any light on the probable causes.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Thanks for the heads up, I did switch the extension lead that it was plugged into though I have just went and bought a new power lead that can reach to the wall socket. Not to mention emailed both MSI and Samsung to see if they can shine any light on the probable causes.
Perhaps the power problem resulted in corrupting some files.