Question PC has been crashing for over 8 months - I've tried everything!

Sep 23, 2023
Hello there. I've exhausted my options on this one and I'm close to caving here and ship the pc to where I bought the parts for technical support. There are two things left i haven't tried, one of which is to inquire here and beg for some help.

There's going to be quite a lot information, but I will try to keep only the most relevant. I'm able to answer most questions you may have of course.

First of all, the hardware specifics of my PC.

Case: Phanteks Eclipse G500A D-RGB Fanless Edition
Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming B760-PLUS Wifi
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700 (neither K or F)
GPU: Gainward GeForce RTX 4060 Ti
Memory: Kingston Fury Beast RGB DDR5 5600Mhz 32GB
PSU: Asus Tuf Gaming 850w Gold

I have 3 m.2 drives, two of which holds 1TB each and one which holds 250GB. The 250gb m.2 is the one where I have windows.
Additionally there is an old HDD from 2017 installed.

I recently upgraded to windows 11, so I'm using that now, but I was on 10 at first.

I built this pc myself in September 2023. The blue screen has been with me since the very beginning. I was pretty convinced that this was a hardware problem so I've basically replaced everything - literally everything. The only thing that I have no replaced is the case and the m.2's and I'm probably going to buy a new m.2 soon to replace the windows drive, do a clean install on that as a last ditch effort. That's the only thing I can think of that I haven't tried. I've done many clean installs in the past but they didnt fix the problem.

The bluescreens comes with two seperate stopcodes:
CRITICAL_ PROCESS_DIED and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. The bluescreens happens mostly in a window of 5-30 minutes after turning on the PC for the day, so always in the morning. I seldom get 2 bluescreens in a day. Sometimes I've had no bluescreens at all for almost a week, but just when I think things have taken a turn for the better, it comes back to make me miserable again. Event viewer lists kernel power 41, of course. Not that this tells me very much. When the crashes happen, the screen freezes for 1 second, then it either goes to black or a bluescreen and restarts immediatly. Sometimes its literally insantly, other times the bluescreen wants to collect some info first and there's a percentage that goes up to 100%.

I was convinced it was a driver issue, but after I paid a small sum for a program that checks for all my drivers and updates (or installs if they are missing completely), it found quite a lot of missing drivers. And I didnt crash for at least 5 days after that update. But it came back, unfortunately.

I also used another program to remove some pesky windows apps like the xbox app and game bar, but that has not improved anything either.
I also updated my BIOs recently, as I was missing an update there. It didnt help me.

I've also been debugging the minidump files to try to squeeze some information out of them that could lead me to a more solid conclusion on whether this is a hardware or software problem. But I still have no clue., it was pointing to driver problem but I did that so.... I've scanned all kinds of hardware without finding anything faulty, I just don't understand what this is or how to attack it anymore.

If anyone has a clue on where to go from here....maybe revisit something? I'm assuming someone is going to tell me to reseat the hardware but I've done that multiple times. I can of course check it again. At this point I'm willing to try almost anything. If there is any information you need I will be happy to provide it.

Thank you in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
I also updated my BIOs recently, as I was missing an update there. It didnt help me.
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you n at this moment of time?

I recently upgraded to windows 11, so I'm using that now, but I was on 10 at first.
So did you reinstall your OS after what I'm assuming is an internal upgrade path from Window 10 to Windows 11? If not, you should create your bootable USB installer for Windows 11, then install the OS in offline mode. Once the OS is installed, manually install all drivers relevant to your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

An FYI, disconnect all drives off of your platform, leaving only the drive that you intend to install the OS on.

I was convinced it was a driver issue, but after I paid a small sum for a program that checks for all my drivers and updates
Please don't use third party apps to tell you if your platform's pending any updates. If you must, cross-reference the version you're on with the version listed on your device manufacturer's support site.

Reactions: rickypicky5
May 6, 2024
Hello,
Have you checked the event viewer for any specific error codes or patterns? It might provide some clues.

Additionally, have you tried running a stress test on the CPU and GPU to see if they trigger the blue screen? It could help isolate the issue to hardware or software.

Lastly, have you monitored temperatures during operation to rule out overheating as a possible cause?

Hope it helps you.

Sep 23, 2023
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you n at this moment of time?

So did you reinstall your OS after what I'm assuming is an internal upgrade path from Window 10 to Windows 11? If not, you should create your bootable USB installer for Windows 11, then install the OS in offline mode. Once the OS is installed, manually install all drivers relevant to your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

An FYI, disconnect all drives off of your platform, leaving only the drive that you intend to install the OS on.

I was convinced it was a driver issue, but after I paid a small sum for a program that checks for all my drivers and updates
Please don't use third party apps to tell you if your platform's pending any updates. If you must, cross-reference the version you're on with the version listed on your device manufacturer's support site.

The current BIOS is at 1646

I have not reinstalled windows after upgrading to 11. It's very high on my list of priorites atm. I will probably do it sometime next week, but I'm currently in the process of moving to a new place so I'm surrounded by banana boxes right now. However, I want to buy a new m.2 first and use this for the clean installation.

Do I really have to disconnect all the other m.2's? That sounds like a pain in the ass. But I guess I can give it a shot.

What exactly is the problem with using third party apps?

If you could perhaps give me a step-by-step guide for how to go about your suggestion, that would be very nice.

Hello,
Have you checked the event viewer for any specific error codes or patterns? It might provide some clues.

Additionally, have you tried running a stress test on the CPU and GPU to see if they trigger the blue screen? It could help isolate the issue to hardware or software.

Lastly, have you monitored temperatures during operation to rule out overheating as a possible cause?

Hope it helps you.
I've been watching Event viewer for quite some time. There is a section called Critical, one for Error and one for Warning. Before I replaced the motherboard and the PSU (with identical products), I had a TON of errors in this section all the time .We're talking hundreds of errors every day. After the switch, those errors have almost completely disappeared. I still get some every now and then but they are down to 4 or 5 at most. I also use a program called HwInfo064 to monitor the temps, I did this a lot in the past but that was mostly because it also tracks something called PCI-E bus errors. I used to have hundreds of these as well before. After switching the motherboard, it went down to 0, in fact I dont think I've had a single error after I made that swap. I can't rule out overheating completely, but if that really is the problem it means that something causes the CPU to ramp something crazy in a matter of split seconds. My temps really are quite good so it doesn't seem too likely. Unfortunately, even though the errors are mostly gone, I still crash.
Armoury Crate last in the list is very helpful for asus drivers
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...download?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B760-PLUS-WIFI
Whocrashed
https://www.resplendence.com/downloads
just trying too help the ram is at the right frequency ??

I used to have Armoury Crate on my PC, but I did some digging on it and I heard a lot of people say that it was really trash software that causes a lot of crashing and other undesired results. In the last clean reinstall I did, I decided to not include Armour Crate to see if it would solve anything. So I don't have it installed right now. How can I tell if the ram is at the right frequency? The only thing I know is that they are seated properly and XPM is on.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far, I'm going to look into this very soon.