Question PC Post Booting after changing DVD Drive

Apr 28, 2024
Hello everyone, I am experiencing a problem far too unique to even attempt googling this.
I have a PC from around the early to mid 2000s that I've started messing around with, and I changed this CD-Rom drive with a DVD drive.
Once i closed everything back up and booted up the system...I got a beep code, 1 long, 8 short. I googled this, and it appears to be a video card error. The hard drive spins up, I can hear the speakers for a second, ethernet lights and activity lights are on, but no fan activity at all.
Confused, I decided to reseat everything in case I knocked a cable loose, and as soon as I flicked the PSU switch on, it booted up, Windows XP loaded, and I was able to confirm that my DVD drive does work. After I turned it off though, put the side panel back on, it just throws the same error. I tried reseating everything again, but no luck.

I have an AGP Card (ATI 9800 Pro) and I know those usually don't have a very long lifespan. But I wouldn't imagine it dying like this, after simply changing a DVD drive. Especially since I saw it work fine for that one moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I've turned it on once again, and oddly enough, it worked...somewhat. I got to Windows, but the fans were acting very weird, in that they were not keeping a consistent tone or speed. After maybe a minute, the video went blank and the fans shut off, but the Power LED stayed on. Could this maybe be a power supply issue? I don't think it should be considering that it's a modern Corsair 550W unit, one that's worked fine before this. Again, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like a capacitor that is right on the brink of failing.
If it hasn't worked for a while it works fine and then after working for a little bit it fails again.
If you can't see any bulging capacitor anywhere with an optical inspection then you will have to swap out, or leave out where possible, every component one at a time until you find the one that causes the issue.

Also make sure you googled beep codes for the right mobo, they don't all match 100%

Dave8671

Distinguished
Sounds a lot like a capacitor that is right on the brink of failing.
If it hasn't worked for a while it works fine and then after working for a little bit it fails again.
If you can't see any bulging capacitor anywhere with an optical inspection then you will have to swap out, or leave out where possible, every component one at a time until you find the one that causes the issue.

Also make sure you googled beep codes for the right mobo, they don't all match 100%
I had one motherboard which had capacitors that was on the verge of failing around the year 2,000 The company replaced the motherboard never repaired it. I have not had one since. So I am not convinced this is a capacitor since it was working fine till the drive change.

I had one motherboard which had capacitors that was on the verge of failing around the year 2,000 The company replaced the motherboard never repaired it. I have not had one since. So I am not convinced this is a capacitor since it was working fine till the drive change.
Yeah, having a failing capacitor within 1-2 years of a new mobo is not very common, but having one after 20 years is much more common.