Question PC power cycles continuously in Sleep Mode ?

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Hey, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Recently my PC has begun power cycling in sleep mode. A few seconds after I put my PC to sleep the fans will spin back to life and the power button will light up. The PC will run like this for about a minute before powering down again for a few seconds and repeating the cycle.

While this is happening the monitor remains in low power mode and is never woken up.I can break the cycle at any point by moving the mouse or pressing a keyboard button. This causes the monitor to wake up and for the computer to operate normally.

I put the PC to sleep every night and this has occurred three times in the past two weeks. I can resolve the problem by restarting the PC, but I’d like to know what’s causing this in case it’s a sign of my PSU or motherboard failing.
I can’t find any information about this problem online so any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
does pc turns off or it stays alive whole time when this happens?
I don’t believe it completely turns off because even during the few seconds of the “powered down” phase I can still bring the computer back to normal operation by moving the mouse or tapping the keyboard. Next time this happens I will make sure to test this to be certain.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Recently my PC has begun power cycling in sleep mode. A few seconds after I put my PC to sleep the fans will spin back to life and the power button will light up. The PC will run like this for about a minute before powering down again for a few seconds and repeating the cycle.

While this is happening the monitor remains in low power mode and is never woken up.I can break the cycle at any point by moving the mouse or pressing a keyboard button. This causes the monitor to wake up and for the computer to operate normally.

I put the PC to sleep every night and this has occurred three times in the past two weeks. I can resolve the problem by restarting the PC, but I’d like to know what’s causing this in case it’s a sign of my PSU or motherboard failing.
I can’t find any information about this problem online so any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!

It would be really nice to know what hardware you're using. Especially what motherboard and what BIOS revision as well as what PSU.

What's you're describing sounds exactly like modern standby mode.

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
It would be really nice to know what hardware you're using. Especially what motherboard and what BIOS revision as well as what PSU.

What's you're describing sounds exactly like modern standby mode.
Absolutely, my mobo is a Gigabyte B560M DS3H and my BIOS version is "American Megatrends International, LLC. F3, 3/16/2021" according to the Sys Info. If that's not what you were looking for just let me know and I can find the right information.

I don't know the exact model of my PSU. It's manufactured by Thermaltake and it's 600 watts. The rest of my hardware specifications are listed in my bio on my profile.

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
You bought the PSU and motherboard at the same time and this problem just developed? Or did you update the motherboard and/or BIOS recently?

You can't look at the PSU and see what the model of it is?

In the BIOS, are all sleep states set to "auto"?
I popped the side panel off and it's a Thermaltake TR2 600w.

I built the system in 2017, but I upgraded my CPU and motherboard earlier this year. This problem began just two weeks ago. It's possible it's related to the upgrade, but everything has operated normally for months after the upgrade.

Ok. It's a terrible and old PSU. It makes sense that it and the new mobo doesn't play well together.

You might want to make sure that "ErP" is disabled in the BIOS. Also, "C-Starte Control" should be "disabled". At least until you get a decent PSU... which should be sooner than later.

A lot of people don't realize that there's more to a PSU than just "wattage".

Reactions: Red1917

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Thanks you two. Honestly until I looked at my PSU today I had been thinking it was 80+ rated. I guess my memory had failed me. I'll be ordering something more reliable immediately.

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Just logging back in to discuss another issue, but I wanted to add a note here for posterity. I replaced the PSU with a high quality Corsair model and this issue has still persisted since then. I'm really at a loss, but I've just lived with it by not using the sleep feature.