[SOLVED] PC randomly shuts down ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2024
My PC started randomly shutting down about a month ago while gaming. Now, it shuts down randomly even during light tasks like watching YouTube. After a shutdown, when I try to restart it, the lights and fans run for less than a second, and then it wouldn't start again (no lights or fan) even after waiting for hours. I had to unplug it and then plug it back in to get it to turn on again. Sometimes, even after doing this, it won't start, and I have to wait for a while before trying again. Could this be some kind of protection mechanism from the motherboard or PSU?

Event Viewer shows no errors or warnings before the crashes.

I cleaned and re-connected every plug and visually inspected them without any burn or damage. I've tried connecting it to different socket outlets in different circuits, but the problem persists.

I ran stress tests on the CPU and GPU using OCCT, with both at 100% load for 1 hour without any errors. The temperature remained around 60 degrees C at full load, so it doesn't seem to be an overheating issue.

I also scanned the SSD with the Kingston Manager(91% health) and RAM for errors but found none.

I suspect the issue may be with the PSU or motherboard, but I don't have a spare part to test. Do your think it is necessary to update the Bios & firmware? I'm worried shutdown during the update. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is my spec built in 2020:
Mobo: Asus Prime H310I-Plus R2.0
CPU: i5-9400F
CPU Cooler: Masterliquid lite 120
GPU: GTX 1660
RAM: ADATA Primer DDR4 8GB x2
SSD: Kingston SSD 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 550W Gold

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 17, 2024
My PC started randomly shutting down about a month ago while gaming. Now, it shuts down randomly even during light tasks like watching YouTube. After a shutdown, when I try to restart it, the lights and fans run for less than a second, and then it wouldn't start again (no lights or fan) even after waiting for hours. I had to unplug it and then plug it back in to get it to turn on again. Sometimes, even after doing this, it won't start, and I have to wait for a while before trying again. Could this be some kind of protection mechanism from the motherboard or PSU?

Event Viewer shows no errors or warnings before the crashes.

I cleaned and re-connected every plug and visually inspected them without any burn or damage. I've tried connecting it to different socket outlets in different circuits, but the problem persists.

I ran stress tests on the CPU and GPU using OCCT, with both at 100% load for 1 hour without any errors. The temperature remained around 60 degrees C at full load, so it doesn't seem to be an overheating issue.

I also scanned the SSD with the Kingston Manager(91% health) and RAM for errors but found none.

I suspect the issue may be with the PSU or motherboard, but I don't have a spare part to test. Do your think it is necessary to update the Bios & firmware? I'm worried shutdown during the update. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is my spec built in 2020:
Mobo: Asus Prime H310I-Plus R2.0
CPU: i5-9400F
CPU Cooler: Masterliquid lite 120
GPU: GTX 1660
RAM: ADATA Primer DDR4 8GB x2
SSD: Kingston SSD 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 550W Gold
Update: Problem solved, it's the power supply unit. Running well with a new power supply unit now.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Status
Not open for further replies.