Question PC randomly shuts off

BryceSpicey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
Hello, so recently the past two days of about 12 hours of computer usage, my computer randomly shuts down once in that timeframe in the middle of the day. It doesn't turn back on when I hit the power button, but if I set the switch to 0 and back to 1 on the power supply, it turns on immediately after pressing the power button. In your guys opinion, would this be simply a failing power supply or something else? All temps are beyond cool in my 7000d airflow max. I'd believe if it was a failing motherboard because it's nearly twice the age of the power supply I've had. I've considered upgrading my CPU/RAM/MB to next-gen anyway, so it'd be good timing, I'll probably throw in a new power supply as well but I just wanted some opinions. Just a bit surprised it'd be a failing PSU considering the one I had prior was 7 years old and still works fine, just not enough wattage for this rig (600). The power supply is only around 3 years old.

CPU: AMD 5950X
GPU: 7900 XTX
PSU: Corsair RX 850W
Motherboard: B450-pro max
Ram: 3800 mhz 32 gb vengeance ddr4
case: corsair 7000d airflow

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hello, so recently the past two days of about 12 hours of computer usage, my computer randomly shuts down once in that timeframe in the middle of the day. It doesn't turn back on when I hit the power button, but if I set the switch to 0 and back to 1 on the power supply, it turns on immediately after pressing the power button. In your guys opinion, would this be simply a failing power supply or something else? All temps are beyond cool in my 7000d airflow max. I'd believe if it was a failing motherboard because it's nearly twice the age of the power supply I've had. I've considered upgrading my CPU/RAM/MB to next-gen anyway, so it'd be good timing, I'll probably throw in a new power supply as well but I just wanted some opinions. Just a bit surprised it'd be a failing PSU considering the one I had prior was 7 years old and still works fine, just not enough wattage for this rig (600). The power supply is only around 3 years old.

CPU: AMD 5950X
GPU: 7900 XTX
PSU: Corsair RX 850W
Motherboard: B450-pro max
Ram: 3800 mhz 32 gb vengeance ddr4
case: corsair 7000d airflow
I'd suspect the power supply first. I'm not sure it's age is too important - even new ones fail. Try to borrow one for test purposes.

Reactions: BryceSpicey

BryceSpicey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
I'd suspect the power supply first. I'm not sure it's age is too important - even new ones fail. Try to borrow one for test purposes.
Me too, I guess they don't make them like they used to. I bought one on Amazon and going to use their 30-day return policy, if it solves the issue I won't return it, if it doesn't solve it then I'd think the next culprit would be the motherboard and I'll return the power supply. I would guess that resetting the power supply switch works because it discharges the capacitors and fully resets whatever is going on internally. Guess we'll see