Question PC refuses to conduct BIOS checks, after randomly switching off?

Jul 22, 2023
Recently made my second ever PC after 8 years. It was running fine in Win 11 and I left it to start downloading my apps ect. When I returned, it had powered off and now refuses to switch back on. I have literally tried to reseat everything on the rig (except CPU) but it refuses to boot. It originally did the LED initial checks on the motherboard for start up but now does nothing on power on button being pressed + no fans spin. The mobo has no lights to display it is powered but GPU red light comes on if installed with no power connector.

My parts consist of:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
  • Patriot Viper Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR5-5200 CL36 Memory
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card
  • Corsair RM750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Everything I have done to diagnose the issue (might have failed to list a few more) :
  1. Reseated RAM (all slots, all configurations(single and dual)) and graphics card
  2. Booted without GPU installed
  3. Removed CMOS to try and reset BIOS
  4. Tried to jump start mobo but no response
  5. Tried to paper clip test PSU
  6. Tried to boot with minimal connections to mobo
I feel like I have tried everything and would like a few ideas if possible to help.

Did the suggestion of loosening the cpu fan and this worked but once again the pc switched off. I then re-adjusted the fan and it worked, only to die again and refuse to switch on. I then replaced my cpu fan to one that fits better but still no power on.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How are you cooling that processor in your build? Might want to relieve some pressur on the moutn and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, take the CPU out of the socket and inspect for any bulging on the underside of the processor.

You might want to keep the manufacturer of the board and your seller atop of this issue as well in case you need to initiate an RMA.