May 17, 2024
Hello! I had recently posted about my issue I've been having with my PC the other day, but after applying that feedback and the issue persisting, I wanted to ask again with new context. I'm not very knowledgeable on computers, so I hope this is a clear description!

We recently built a PC about a month and a half ago, but it has recently been shutting down when I play games like F*rtnite. The advice I received in my last question was to upgrade the PSU and I was able to quickly get a new PSU, switching from MSI MAG A550BN 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply to the Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W Bronze 80 Plus. But after the switch, it still shuts off with no warning typically up to 10-25 minutes into playing a match. When I monitored the temperature, the GPU was reaching max 90°C, and shut off soon after. When searching for this issue online, some say it ended up being the fault of the motherboard or GPU. My brother suggested getting a new motherboard that can accommodate a motherboard speaker as on my current one, we could not find a space for one. He also suggested using a program like GPU Tweak 3 to scale things back.

Would anyone have any advice for what can be done? Do you think getting a new motherboard could help in anyway or should we focus on the GPU (or both?)? I feel lost on what to do after seemingly ruiling out the PSU being the main culprit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:
Mobo: ASRock B660M Pro RS Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-13400 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor
PSU: Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W Bronze 80 Plus
GPU: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Leven JPS600 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
I don't think it's the PSU, because the issue persisted.

It's possible the CPU is reaching dangerous temperatures and shutting down. GPU temp at 90C is high. Have you monitored the CPU temp?

Maybe the cooler is not properly seated, or the thermal paste was not applied correctly.

It could be a faulty motherboard but that's hard to prove. Every other component has to be eliminated before the motherboard can be blamed.
Or you could take it for repairs and a techie can try to figure it out.

PCs will shut down when the CPU overheats, to prevent permanent damage to the CPU.

Also, what is your case, and how many fans does it have for ventilation? What fans are they?

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Issue persisting - - - that could simply be because the OP swapped one poor-quality PSU for another poor-quality one.
Doesn't explain the 90C GPU temp, and why the issue is identical even with an extra 200w.
I'm not saying the PSU is good, but it's not likely to cause shutdowns and overheating.
I'd check the cooler before swapping components again.

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
OP, make sure you supply enough power to GPU by connecting *separate* PCIe cables from the PSU to each of the GPU's 8-pin connectors. Don't use both 6+2 pin connectors from a single cable.

RX 6800 has max power draw of 250W - 75W (from PCIe bus) = 175W from power connectors. Each PCIe cable is rated for 150W, so you need both cables to supply 175W, not both connectors from a single cable.

Doesn't explain the 90C GPU temp, and why the issue is identical even with an extra 200w.
I'm not saying the PSU is good, but it's not likely to cause shutdowns and overheating.
I'd check the cooler before swapping components again.
XFX has form for poor coolers, it's either that or the power supply. Swapping a garbage one for another garbage one won't help.

OP, try running with the side of the case off, see what happens then.

May 17, 2024
OP, make sure you supply enough power to GPU by connecting *separate* PCIe cables from the PSU to each of the GPU's 8-pin connectors. Don't use both 6+2 pin connectors from a single cable.

RX 6800 has max power draw of 250W - 75W (from PCIe bus) = 175W from power connectors. Each PCIe cable is rated for 150W, so you need both cables to supply 175W, not both connectors from a single cable.
Thank you for all the feedback!

It was set up on one cable, we corrected it to be on two cables, but the issue is still happening even though MSI Afterburner is set up. It did seem to take longer than usual to shut off compared to what it was doing before though.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I don't think it's the PSU, because the issue persisted.

It's possible the CPU is reaching dangerous temperatures and shutting down. GPU temp at 90C is high. Have you monitored the CPU temp?

Maybe the cooler is not properly seated, or the thermal paste was not applied correctly.

It could be a faulty motherboard but that's hard to prove. Every other component has to be eliminated before the motherboard can be blamed.
Or you could take it for repairs and a techie can try to figure it out.

PCs will shut down when the CPU overheats, to prevent permanent damage to the CPU.

Also, what is your case, and how many fans does it have for ventilation? What fans are they?
I agree with this. You might try removing a cover and then blowing a fan directly on the motherboard to see if this makes a difference .