Question PC stutters and massive FPS drops on every game.

Oct 16, 2023
Hello everyone! My custom built used to work great up until about 3-4 months ago. Since then, the FPS dropped massively and games, such as CS2 or Fromsoft games, went from 200 for CS2 and 144 for FS, to 90-ish and 60 FPS, respectively.

I haven't done any massive changes and it seemingly came out of the blue. The PC is very well maintained and cleaned, with regular thermal paste changes and deep clean at least once a month.

Here is a link to a Benchmark I did today, with my results, especially for the GPU being very well under the average for this piece of hardware.

PassMark Software - Display Baseline ID# 2097926 - you can see that CPU and GPU benchmarks are 10 and 18% below the average for this component.

Benchmark results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859109

The main problem is FPS. Things I've tried to fix/change but to no avail:

Thermal paste change/deep cleaning of dust
Stresstest/benchmarks - showing no errors
Disabled/Enabled XMP - nothing changes
Temperature monitoring - nothing out of the ordinary, however, I noticed on a lighter game it maintained at 85C (CPU) which was slightly too high.
Updated drivers of the CPU and GPU, even rolled back to previous versions
Clean boots and memtest86 done - nothing
Crystaldisk tests
Samsung magician - nothing outstanding
The final step I took was to completely wipe the PC and reset it - still the same if not worse.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read/reply!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Userbenchmark can't tell us what the make and model nor your PSU's age is, please include it.

Please delete if not allowed on this subreddit
Subreddit?

The highest your platform will go due to the chipset is DDR4-2666MHz.

You might want to run DDU, remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please walk us through this.

Oct 16, 2023
Userbenchmark can't tell us what the make and model nor your PSU's age is, please include it.

Please delete if not allowed on this subreddit
Subreddit?

The highest your platform will go due to the chipset is DDR4-2666MHz.

You might want to run DDU, remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please walk us through this.

Sorry for the confusion. The PSU is : ATX MSI MPG A650GF 650W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular - bought in 2020.

I've tried DDU before but I'll give it another go. Last time I did was around 6 months ago.

About the drivers - I usually manually check for Nvidia 3060 drivers once a month. If I happen to have fps drops after I've updated the driver, I simply go to their website and download the previous version I just updated from, to see if perhaps the new Nvidia drivers were causing the issue, but for now nothing.

Hello everyone! My custom built used to work great up until about 3-4 months ago. Since then, the FPS dropped massively and games, such as CS2 or Fromsoft games, went from 200 for CS2 and 144 for FS, to 90-ish and 60 FPS, respectively.

I haven't done any massive changes and it seemingly came out of the blue. The PC is very well maintained and cleaned, with regular thermal paste changes and deep clean at least once a month.

Here is a link to a Benchmark I did today, with my results, especially for the GPU being very well under the average for this piece of hardware.

PassMark Software - Display Baseline ID# 2097926 - you can see that CPU and GPU benchmarks are 10 and 18% below the average for this component.

Benchmark results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859109

The main problem is FPS. Things I've tried to fix/change but to no avail:

Thermal paste change/deep cleaning of dust
Stresstest/benchmarks - showing no errors
Temperature monitoring - nothing out of the ordinary, however, I noticed on a lighter game it maintained at 85C (CPU) which was slightly too high.
Clean boots and memtest86 done - nothing
Crystaldisk tests
Samsung magician - nothing outstanding
The final step I took was to completely wipe the PC and reset it - still the same if not worse.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read/reply!
UBM is showing you have too much other stuff running when running the benchmark.

Try this.
Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Oct 16, 2023
UBM is showing you have too much other stuff running when running the benchmark.

Try this.
Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

New bench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859384

I also did what was first suggested and ran DDU - removing all Nvidia/Intel/AMD drivers in Safe model. I closed everything and ran the UBM - no idea why it still says such a high background usage, could this be the issue?

New bench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859384

I also did what was first suggested and ran DDU - removing all Nvidia/Intel/AMD drivers in Safe model. I closed everything and ran the UBM - no idea why it still says such a high background usage, could this be the issue?
To use almost 6GB of ram at startup says you have a bunch of stuff loading/running.

Make the startup group skinny.

Oct 16, 2023
To use almost 6GB of ram at startup says you have a bunch of stuff loading/running.

Make the startup group skinny.
I'm not sure how it's possible, I even did a complete Windows Reset and removed all the apps I have. Before this bench I removed every single app on startup except Defender. I literally have next to no apps running when the pc boots :( At least the Task manager Startup tab shows everything is Disabled.

I'm not sure how it's possible, I even did a complete Windows Reset and removed all the apps I have. Before this bench I removed every single app on startup except Defender. I literally have next to no apps running when the pc boots :( At least the Task manager Startup tab shows everything is Disabled.
Stuff can also start from the task scheduler and also the registry so you need to do some snooping.

Just for yuks disable the sysmain service.

Oct 16, 2023
Stuff can also start from the task scheduler and also the registry so you need to do some snooping.

Just for yuks disable the sysmain service.
Thanks I will try this!

I have an update as today I logged in CS2 and the FPS was back to 220+ at high settings, so everything was back to normal.

However, since we have frequent power cuts, and I thought that maybe that is what is damaging the PC, I connected a UPS (Eaton 5E). Upon booting the computer again, it is back to its slow self, and my FPS is back to 80-90ish. Could the UPS be a bad idea or am I really reaching? Low FPS usually occurs directly after a power cut if I was in-game, but after 1-2 days it usually stabilizes.
The PC doesn't feel well grounded either as I frequently get small shocks around the case or monitors.

Thanks I will try this!

I have an update as today I logged in CS2 and the FPS was back to 220+ at high settings, so everything was back to normal.

However, since we have frequent power cuts, and I thought that maybe that is what is damaging the PC, I connected a UPS (Eaton 5E). Upon booting the computer again, it is back to its slow self, and my FPS is back to 80-90ish. Could the UPS be a bad idea or am I really reaching? Low FPS usually occurs directly after a power cut if I was in-game, but after 1-2 days it usually stabilizes.
The PC doesn't feel well grounded either as I frequently get small shocks around the case or monitors.
Take the ups out of the mix and see if the fps go back up.

If you suspect power/grounding problems perhaps get an electrician to come in and check out stuff.