Question PC won't run properly ?

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
PC has worked fine for 4 years or so.
Recently i started having issues. One of those being that the PC would randomly freeze and then display a corrupted image until restart (both video and sound were frozen) .
Yesterday after restarting it, however the pc stopped outputting video, USB doesnt seem powered and my storage drives don't seem to do anything (no LED).

On startup the fans get powered and i do get a POST beep.

PC specification :
motherboard : H170m-e d3
cpu : intel core i5-6500
gpu : radeon r9 280x sapphire dual-x
psu : vero m1 600W

In trying to fix the issue i have:
  • replaced DVI cable(before noticing the drives and usb issue)
  • disconnected both ssd and hdd drive
  • removed one and both RAM sticks
  • reset CMOS
  • even replaced motherboard with the same model
Pc has seen quite a lot of usage so i wouldn't be suprised if one or most of the parts are nearing their limits.
So far i'm suspecting either GPU, CPU or PSU, i would like to narrow down the problem somehow.

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022

If you remove the Radeon and use the integrated GPU, does the system boot?
So the good news is, after taking the GPU out the pc seems to start up.
The bad news is i still don't know whether it's the GPU's fault or PSU.
And as for the crashing, i have no way of telling if it fixed them as ,as i said , they happen randomly and not while benchmarking/stress-testing

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
While GPU prices are getting better, a good GPU is still expensive. Try swapping the PSU first.

Do you have a budget and source in mind for purchasing a PSU?
For now i have around 320~ish total for repairs, which is why i resorted to asking here, to make sure i dont replace parts that don't need replacement for sure (as i did with motherboard, prompted by a suggestion from repair shop that i had it checked out at first).
Apparently they will accept the pc again and check the parts again so maybe that will help me find out what needs replacing for sure.
I'll have to wait until monday for that however, so is there no way to check anything else at home ?

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
Not unless you have another PSU you can swap in, or another PC you can try the Radeon in.
Well i guess wait till monday and hope they have some parts they can replace those with and tell me which one is failing.
Should I Fix the problem I'll leave the solution here I suppose.

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
Well i guess wait till monday and hope they have some parts they can replace those with and tell me which one is failing.
Should I Fix the problem I'll leave the solution here I suppose.
I suppose I should add that the gpu is sagging a tiny bit under its own weight (no support) but given that the MB was just replaced it's not bent/dislodged pci slot, so unless something bent directly on the gpu i don't think that's the root of the issue.

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
Sag is normal. I wouldn't worry about that. Age of components is likely the root of your issue.

PSUs degrade over time. GPUs can and do fail. That series runs hot and draws a lot of power.
Actually since i remembered something else, would it be normal that after turning PC,PSU off and unplugging PSU from power the Motherboard power LED keeps slowly blinking every now and then?

blakemead

Prominent
Aug 26, 2022
So, in the end , all that the repair shop came up with was that the cause was GPU overheating, so i guess i'll try changing thermal paste on it and if that doesnt help, just buy a new gpu.