Question Persistent Discord 32-bit processes ?

Apr 27, 2024
I've seen "solved" threads from a few years ago but none of the "fixes" did anything.

I started using Discord in 2016 and early on I found the setting to make Discord totally close when I clicked the X and not just minimize to tray. Every time I've re-installed Discord on a fresh OS install of Windows 7, 8.1 and now 10 I've changed that setting.

Earlier today with Discord running I noticed my CPU was running at 30% which was unusually high since it normally runs about 5% under the same circumstances. I closed all browser tabs and Discord (fully closed, not minimized) yet the CPU stayed at 30%. Looked through task manager and resource monitor to find several (at least 6) of Discord (32-bit) still running. I ended task on all of them and suddenly the CPU dropped to 2-3% where it normally is.

It's been a few hours since that but even with Discord closed for awhile there are still 2 instances of Discord (32bit) showing. Also for awhile now at the bottom of user settings in Discord it shows I'm running version stable 288460 (c8280c6) Host 1.0.9043 x86 (46952) Windows 10 64-bit (10.0.19045), yet Task Manger claims it's 32-bit. When Discord is completely closed why do those 2 Discord processes have to keep running and using CPU?

Apr 27, 2024
Discord is a 32bit application

Did you turn off "run in system tray" in discord settings?
I find 6 run unless I close the icon in system tray, then it all closes.
You mean where I said "I started using Discord in 2016 and early on I found the setting to make Discord totally close when I clicked the X and not just minimize to tray. Every time I've re-installed Discord on a fresh OS install of Windows 7, 8.1 and now 10 I've changed that setting."?
Like that? YES! I also said even after Discord is totally shut down I find 2 Discord (32bit) running.

Colif

Win 11 Master
okay, so i missed that. Is it still off? Settings can change themselves with new versions...

seems discord can have ghost clients that stay open even after system tray is closed. That is answer given here - link
Only answer is to close the tasks in task manager.

Apr 27, 2024
So far since the incident yesterday (Saturday) when I close Discord it's only leaving the 2 "ghosts" running and they barely touch the CPU. My current Windows 10 install is 2 years old so I'm going to do a fresh install soon since I usually start noticing odd behavior after a couple years with an OS.