Question Physically Swapping OS Drives on a PC

May 3, 2024
Here’s the idea I’m considering.

Build a modern desktop PC using typical 2024 components. Nothing too crazy. Probably a $1500 budget.

Multiple OS drives that will be physically swapped as needed. For example, plug in a blank SATA drive and install Windows 11. Unplug that, plug in another blank SATA drive and install Ubuntu on that. If I want to go back to Windows 11, I’d unplug the Ubuntu drive and plug the Windows 11 drive back in. I may have several drives with various builds that I’d swap as needed.

Is this possible, or would there be an issue with BIOS and/or TPM. Some of what I’m reading suggests the OS install leaves a fingerprint of sorts on the TPM. If I swap drives, and install another OS, does that then overwrite the TPM? Will the first drive then no longer work?

USAFRet

Titan
There are ways to boot a different OS in this system, without physical removal of the other drives.

But...with WIndows, you can't bring over a drive and OS from another system, and expect it to boot in this system.
Linux, probably
Windows, probably not.

May 3, 2024
There are ways to boot a different OS in this system, without physical removal of the other drives.

But...with WIndows, you can't bring over a drive and OS from another system, and expect it to boot in this system.
Linux, probably
Windows, probably not.

The OS drives would all be individually built and used on the same PC. The reason for the physical swap is that I may have several disks with builds for different purposes.
Possibly more drives than available SATA ports. This is really just for experimental use.

USAFRet

Titan
The OS drives would all be individually built and used on the same PC. The reason for the physical swap is that I may have several disks with builds for different purposes.
Possibly more drives than available SATA ports. This is really just for experimental use.
OK.

Install each OS, while that drive is the only one physically connected.
You'll see zero problem.

But for investigative purposes, look into VirtualMachines.

May 3, 2024
OK.

Install each OS, while that drive is the only one physically connected.
You'll see zero problem.

But for investigative purposes, look into VirtualMachines.
I use VMWare, but that has some limitations, especially with resource intensive applications. My thought was that with these 2.5 SSD drives being so cheap now, I’d just create physically swappable machines, rather than VMs.

And something like this product would allow the drives to be easily swapped. Kind of like the old cartridge concept with the early home computers and game systems:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Internal-Converter-Mounting-Interface/dp/B097BX3GNS

I'll probably go ahead and try this. Thanks for your advice.

Here’s the idea I’m considering.

Build a modern desktop PC using typical 2024 components. Nothing too crazy. Probably a $1500 budget.

Multiple OS drives that will be physically swapped as needed. For example, plug in a blank SATA drive and install Windows 11. Unplug that, plug in another blank SATA drive and install Ubuntu on that. If I want to go back to Windows 11, I’d unplug the Ubuntu drive and plug the Windows 11 drive back in. I may have several drives with various builds that I’d swap as needed.

Is this possible, or would there be an issue with BIOS and/or TPM. Some of what I’m reading suggests the OS install leaves a fingerprint of sorts on the TPM. If I swap drives, and install another OS, does that then overwrite the TPM? Will the first drive then no longer work?
Most new motherboards have at least 4-6 SATA ports and you can even ad more with adapters to PCIe slots, what's stopping you to put all SSDs with OS on them and just choose which to BOOT from BIOS ?
I have 5 NVMe SSDs of which 3 are OS drives, 2xWindows and 1xLinux Mint.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I guess the question is: is the juice worth the squeeze? If you're considering doing this, is the benefit you get from a straight up swap instead of a virtual machine worth the physical annoyance? I think if you're going to do it and you're going to utilize the swap a lot, you at least want a motherboard and case that don't make it a hassle for you. I don't use the thumbscrew backing plate on my Lian Li 011 XL and I can swap out a hard drive in a few minutes (seconds if I had a spare tray, but I'm using all four easily accessible bays). But if you have to really go into the guts of your PC every time, I think adapting VMs would be a better solution to at least preserve your hair.

I use VMWare, but that has some limitations, especially with resource intensive applications. My thought was that with these 2.5 SSD drives being so cheap now, I’d just create physically swappable machines, rather than VMs.

And something like this product would allow the drives to be easily swapped. Kind of like the old cartridge concept with the early home computers and game systems:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Internal-Converter-Mounting-Interface/dp/B097BX3GNS

I'll probably go ahead and try this. Thanks for your advice.
External solutions can create many issues, first of all a normal windows installation will not boot over usb at all.
If you have a old style case get one of these.
And even if you have a new style all glass case or whatever get your self some psu extension and a longish sata data cable and still use one of these.
Point is make sure to use something with a sata connection.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&_odkw=front+bay+removable+2'5+sata&_osacat=0