Question Please help me figure out a CPU and mobo

bcemail

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016
OK, got some great help about upgrading parts, but now I'm (maybe) changing my mind (possibly. I think).

I was planning on upgrading my Ryzen 1700X to a 5700X. This was going to require a BIOS update, which isn't too bad, but the new BIOS wouldn't work with the old chip, so I would have to switch chips after the update and hope it worked. Then I started to wonder if I was limiting myself by my mobo, which is older, ethernet doesn't work anymore, no Wi-fi, etc. Maybe reinstalling Windows and everything on a new mobo would be less painful.

Im not too worried about settings in games, I'm often a couple years behind and I'm used to turning stuff down and playing at 1080. I play single player stuff almost exclusively.

So where should I start looking for a budget build? I don't care Intel vs. AMD, whatever is better value. I know AM4 is over, so maybe Intel? Microcenter has a 12600K and MSI Z790 bundle for $250 is that good?. I was planning on getting 32GB of RAM with my new 5600x. The bundle has 16, is that enough? I have no idea about mobo model numbers, features, etc.

I'm moving to an ATX case and was planning on getting an ATX mobo. Current build is mATX and was always a little crowded. Also just bought a used 6700XT. PSU is a Corsair 650W.

Please point me in the right direction!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
12600K is a good budget chip, but the Intel socket is done as well. 12-14th gen capable though, and an okay Z790 board they are offering. When that 14700k goes on sale (though the 13700k is pretty cheap now) that would be a significant upgrade.

DDR4 is pretty cheap, but it would be wasteful to get 2x8GB now.

A better long term solution would be to jump straight into DDR5 and an AM5 CPU. 7700X bundle with 32GB of memory is more expensive, but certainly an interesting choice.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ies-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

If you can afford it, that is the direction I would lean to.

bcemail

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016
12600K is a good budget chip, but the Intel socket is done as well. 12-14th gen capable though, and an okay Z790 board they are offering. When that 14700k goes on sale (though the 13700k is pretty cheap now) that would be a significant upgrade.

A better long term solution would be to jump straight into DDR5 and an AM5 CPU. 7700X bundle with 32GB of memory is more expensive, but certainly an interesting choice.
Thanks! I'm trying to balance budget vs. performance, but I do plan on having this build for a while. Current build lasted me 6+ years. Will either socket be supported more than a couple of years? Or is it just likely that there will be a couple more upgrades of AMD CPUs before AM5 is done?

Should I consider DDR5 a pretty big boost over DDR4? I know the prices are a lot more, but I like that the bundle includes 32GB. Looks like that kit is $100 on it's own.

Thanks again!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
DDR5 6000 CL32 is pretty good. Equivalent roughly to DDR4 3000 CL16 if you want to look at it that way. Not the slowest, not the fastest, but good enough.

AM5 socket is brand new. If it is anything like AM4, you are looking at 3+ generations of CPUs to come, so some 5-6 years at least of CPUs. Ryzen 9000 should be launching relatively soon. 8000 series is already out, but that is a similar misleading name as they have done in the past. Their G class CPUs are still Zen 4 and Zen 4c based but with a larger integrated GPU, 9000 should be Zen 5.

AM4 most recent CPU release was the 5700X3D, which came out this year, so there is also the potential for AMD to keep producing AM5 CPUs even after they launch a future AM6 socket, likely coinciding with DDR6 (which is basically scheduled to come out in about two years time for the server market)

Intel kind of panicked with 14th gen. Meteor lake didn't quite go as they planned, so rather than release their first DDR5 only chip, they simple refreshed the 13th gen chips, which is why 14th gen still supports DDR4 and uses the same LGA1700 socket.

Intel should be launching their new 15th gen processors with a new naming scheme at the end of this year. This will be a new socket. LGA1851.

bcemail

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016
DDR5 6000 CL32 is pretty good. Equivalent roughly to DDR4 3000 CL16 if you want to look at it that way. Not the slowest, not the fastest, but good enough.....
Thanks, lots of great info!

I'm guessing even thought the RAM in the bundle isn't the fastest, upgrading from 16GB of 1330 DDR4 will be a big boost, along with the new processor. If I can upgrade the CPU in 4-5 years with the same mobo, that would be great and keep things going.

With the AMD bundle above and the 6700XT, should that be a good mid-range build for home use and basic gaming?

I have 3 SSD drives, and looks like the mobo has 6 SATA connectors. My OS is on a WD Black SN570 M.2, and that should still be compatible, right? Any my current mobo only has 1 Sys fan connector, one in the bundle lists 4, which should be good since the case I'm looking at comes with 3 fans.

My CPU cooler on Amazon says it's compatible with AM5, even though I bought it 4 years ago. Is that correct?

Just did a PSU calculator and it recommended 600-699W, so my 650W should be good?

Anything else I'm forgetting that I need to change? Will the mobo have the updated BIOS?

Thanks so much! Remembering this stress from last time I built my PC...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
6700XT and a 7700X should be okay with 650W, yes. (230W GPU + 200W peak CPU draw, more regularly in the 80-100W range)

All the AM5 motherboards available support Ryzen 7000 series out of the box. No compatibility concerns there. You should update the BIOS when you get it though, just to have the latest AGESA memory fixes. First boot may take several minutes, don't panic, that is just the memory training.

Yes, SN570 will be fine. As per usual some SATA ports may get disabled when certain M.2 or PCIe slots are used, so double check the manual if you can't detect a drive.

AM5 was built to be compatible with AM4 coolers generally, yes.

bcemail

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016
6700XT and a 7700X should be okay with 650W, yes. (230W GPU + 200W peak CPU draw, more regularly in the 80-100W range)

All the AM5 motherboards available support Ryzen 7000 series out of the box. No compatibility concerns there. You should update the BIOS when you get it though, just to have the latest AGESA memory fixes. First boot may take several minutes, don't panic, that is just the memory training.

Yes, SN570 will be fine. As per usual some SATA ports may get disabled when certain M.2 or PCIe slots are used, so double check the manual if you can't detect a drive.

AM5 was built to be compatible with AM4 coolers generally, yes.
Ok great! So this sounds like it will be a pretty good investment for several years to come? Planning on pitching the wife on upping the budget!