Question Problems due to power surge

Apr 30, 2024
i recently had a power surge and my pc started crashing after that, one day it just didnt boot so i started checking what couldve have gone wrong - turns out it was one of my ram sticks that were fried and when i took it out the pc seemed to work fine, but sometimes i get weird freezing stutters and the audio buzzes for like half a second , i suspect it could be the moterboard that was also damaged - id appreciate any help.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the surge was bad enough to kill a stick of RAM it certainly could have caused damage elsewhere. It could be that the CPU memory controller got damaged as well.

Have you replaced the bad stick with another? IE do you now have mismatch RAM installed?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If you're on a Ryzen platform then a single stick of ram will hold back some of your performance. The same can be said(performance wise) if your other stick of ram is on it's way out.