[SOLVED] Problems with Wifi, Programs Crashing, and BSOD. (ESD Damage?) ?

Mar 9, 2024
Please forgive me if I’m posting this in the wrong place, it’s my first time posting here.

(Specs)

I am having problems with my custom built computer. I accidentally static shocked the case and rear IO a couple weeks ago. I cannot think of anything else that has happened besides that. After a while of turning my computer on, the wifi does not work across all programs (chrome, discord, steam, etc.). Sometimes they even all crash simultaneously. Going into the BIOS is fine with no problems so far.

I ran command prompt sfc /scannow and nothing was out of the ordinary. Same with memtest. However, I have encountered BSODs on two separate occasions with codes SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

Restarting my system does not work, but shutting down and turning it back on helps somewhat, but I still have the aforementioned problems pop up after about 10-30 minutes.

I’m pretty sure my computer is properly grounded, but I do need to check if my wall outlet is properly grounded. Whenever I walk into my room, I feel like my entire body is covered in static. I discharge myself at an outlet before doing anything else after accidentally shocking my computer. It’s been rather dry in my area and I have a humidifier on the way to hopefully fix any problems.

Weird things that have been fixed, not sure if this is notable, but my bluetooth numpad is now able to connect properly to my computer. That’s the only upside to this.

I’m hoping that I can get some advice on what to do, and what components may possibly be affected. Thank you for reading!!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First thing, see if you can remain in the BIOS indefinitely. If so, then you don't have static damage. If you did, you'd see abnormalities in the BIOS as well or no POST. If you're able to be in BIOS without a hitch, check and see if your BIOS needs updating.

Flash to the latest version, clear the CMOS. Then recreate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10, then install the OS in offline mode. Once the OS is installed, manually install all relevant drivers meant for your OS in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Reactions: Brother_Mitch86
Mar 9, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First thing, see if you can remain in the BIOS indefinitely. If so, then you don't have static damage. If you did, you'd see abnormalities in the BIOS as well or no POST. If you're able to be in BIOS without a hitch, check and see if your BIOS needs updating.

Flash to the latest version, clear the CMOS. Then recreate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10, then install the OS in offline mode. Once the OS is installed, manually install all relevant drivers meant for your OS in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Thanks for replying!

I’m able to stay in the BIOS for extended periods of time. Windows boots fine and everything. So relieved to hear that the possibility of ESD damage is nil.

I cleared CMOS and I didn’t get any BSODs after that. Drivers were up to date too. Posts perfectly fine. I was still having DNS issues with my wifi so I ran command prompt and flushed it out and so far it’s working. I think I overreacted a bit to my fears of ESD.

I ran my computer downloading the Command & Conquer Collection, Battlefield 2042 (terrible game I know, but it’s a little more than 80gb so I knew it would take some time), and Helldivers 2. Eight hours later and I’m still connected to wifi.

Hope this helps for anyone in the future!