PSU Failure or something else?

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
I have never had any hiccups with gaming since now. I was playing Deus Ex Mandkind Divided and twice within the span of 7 minutes my computer shut off completely, no warning. Action Viewer just said "Shut down Unexpectedly". My fans never spun up

The weird issue is, I've played this same game months ago with 0 issues. And later on that night I played CoD WW2 to troubleshoot,as and I played it over two hours without any problems at all. I also tried a Garrys Mod and Deus Ex HR, no issues what so ever.

I dusted my PC, reinstalled drivers etc. I ran several stress tests and it rarely makes it past the 6 miniute mark before shutting. Which is weird because my GPU gets to 72 C at most and my CPU 54 C before my pc shuts off.

I kept a log of it with HWMonitor but I have no idea how to interpret these results https://share.rtechsupport.org/Log.CSV This all started yesterday, would this be a PSU issue?

I have these installed with no overclocking

PSU: Antec TruePower Classic series TP-650C 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4995-KR 6GB SC+ GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card
CPU: i5 4690
16 GB of RAM

Solution

Your temps seem good. Did you try another Power Outlet?

Let us know how it worked out in the shop. Try checking your connections again, double check to make sure everything is secure.

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

I wish. I placed an order for a replacement PSU, SeaSonic 650-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply SSR-650RM reviews looked solid. It's just weird to me my PC idiling and older games cause my PSU no issue. I assume some higher end games demand more power and just cause my PC to die?

AAA Titles of games which are more demanding place more stress on the GPU, which then attempts to draw more power. If the PSU cannot supply it, the system boots off as if the switch at the back was flipped. How old is your PSU? Perhaps entering the ending of its life.

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

2014. I read some reviews on the newegg page from people bitching about their PSUs dying after two or so years. So maybe I picked a crappy one for that build.

Perhaps. It is getting its age on (4 years) but I do not think that is too strange for PSU's (I have had one run for 10 years no joke).

There is a JohnnyGuru review for 750W version of this PSU:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=382

It is pretty well scored, so I think it is only your PSU dying. Still, just to make sure, try the PC in another outlet or where there is a stable power connection. Could be your outlet not giving a consistent voltage.

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

Switched Outlets on my surge protector and now the computer shut off in 30 minutes instead of five. Still I think my PSU must me dying, seems like the most obvious answer.

That could mean something. Maybe your surge protector is going bad. Try with a different main entirely with the same protector. Or if you could borrow/ have a spare protector try it out.

Your new PSU should be on its way, fingers crossed that solves it.

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

Switched to another protector, didnt do anything. Oh well the new PSU will be here Monday.
If this somehow doesnt solve the issue what would you reccomend looking into?

Honestly cannot think much else could be wrong. COD WWII is pretty demanding as well AFAIK, so that puzzles me a bit. But almost all of your symptoms point towards a PSU. Maybe re apply the thermal paste or a clean wipe and re install of W10, but the clean wipe should be last resort.

Can you try your PC with a friends GPU? Or a spare GPU? Run memtest86 on each of your RAM sticks and try them in different slots.

Most of your symptoms point towards a PSU issue or a Power issue. Is Deux Ex significantly more graphically intensive than other games?

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

No, because I played a pixel game and it still shut off. I ran Memory test as well zero issues on that end. I dont have another GPU to spare as well. I might take it to a shop

Your temps seem good. Did you try another Power Outlet?

Let us know how it worked out in the shop. Try checking your connections again, double check to make sure everything is secure.

Solution