Question PSU for nzxt h1 v1 - ASUS ROG Loki 850w or another

May 18, 2024
I've been using the 650w PSU that came with the tower, but it wasn't enough to run a 13600k and a 4070 super (the machine kept freezing under high load), so now I am looking at buying a new one. NZXT h1 v1 requires a SFX-L but by designing a new bracket it can support normal SFXs. Been looking around and on the forum without any real luck (and the guide to PSU here on the website).

I've looked at the Lian Li 850w SP850 or Thermaltake Thoughpower SFX 850w, but it is at the same price as ASUS ROG Loki 850w, which is a platinum instead. Or should I use the 20$ more to buy a Asus ROG Loki 1000w for the system, in case we get more power inflation in the future? I've been very much thinking of not supporting ASUS after the post made by Gamers Nexus, but I already own an ASUS ROG b750-i, so it would be a match. It also, in general, seems like a better fit for the case (as it is a sffpc the idea of a Nvidia specific cable directly form the PSU instead of a split cable is alluring).

There have been quite a few recommendations for the Lian LI SP850 but I don't know if it was for the price, or it just being a good PSU. Anyone have any experience with these PSUs?

May 18, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I own the SP850, when I needed to build around a Fractal-Design Node 202. I'd suggest that over the other units. Also, you might want to be wary of the PCIe riser cable that's been known to catch fire.
Thanks!

I've had the riser cable changed to their new PCIE 3.0 (unfortunately) cable, so that should be fixed 😊

The SP850 does look like a good piece of tech. Do you think 850w gives enough headroom in case I upgrade to a bigger or newer GPU 5 years down the road? And does the noise/thermals work well in a small case when under high load?

May 18, 2024
Is the Corsair SF850L available?
It is. And comparable in price compared to the Lian Li and ASUS. Should I pay the 20$ more for the SF1000 or is that overkill? (Edit: Can actually get it for almost the same price. Any downsides from going with the bigger 1000w?)

Found out that the Lian Li is out of stock most places and don't expect them back for a month or two 😬 I can see that people have compared the SF750 to the SP750 with the SF getter the kinder words, but as far as I can see the SP850 should be a fair bit better compared to its lesser version.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024