Question Radeon RX 7800 XT vs. GeForce RTX 4070?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I have found the performance very good although I do not necessary play some of the games you listed.

Red Dead I get a steady 100fps with pretty much all the bells and whistles on. That is without DLSS.

Hogwarts I get about 60fps but this seems to be a limit of my CPU rather than the card as changing settings does little to improve the framerate.

I get a good 120fps + on Warzone with high quality settings.

I can run a few tests on The Witcher if you like. I have Hitman 1 & 2 but not the latest one but can do them as well if you want. Anything that is a CPU heavy game may not give the most representative figures though due to my older CPU

ringmany

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2014
I have found the performance very good although I do not necessary play some of the games you listed.

Red Dead I get a steady 100fps with pretty much all the bells and whistles on. That is without DLSS.

Hogwarts I get about 60fps but this seems to be a limit of my CPU rather than the card as changing settings does little to improve the framerate.

I get a good 120fps + on Warzone with high quality settings.

I can run a few tests on The Witcher if you like. I have Hitman 1 & 2 but not the latest one but can do them as well if you want. Anything that is a CPU heavy game may not give the most representative figures though due to my older CPU

What brand / model of 4070 super do you have?
Looks like here on Amazon UK and other sites they cost around £650 for a 4070 super.
At the moment there's the RX 7900XT for £700. So only £50 more but an extra 8GB of VRAM. But I've never bought AMD GPU before.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
What brand / model of 4070 super do you have?
Looks like here on Amazon UK and other sites they cost around £650 for a 4070 super.
At the moment there's the RX 7900XT for £700. So only £50 more but an extra 8GB of VRAM. But I've never bought AMD GPU before.
I went with a Asus Dual White OC but I paid a slight premium as I wanted a white card to go with my build. There is very little performance wise between the cards and they can be had for as little £580 if you go for a Zotac or MSI dual card.

That being said though a 7900xt at £700 is a good card and in pure raster performance it will outperform the 4070 super in pretty much every game by at least 10%.

If you bring Ray Tracing into the equation then it is a little closer and they trade blows with the 7900xt coming out marginally ahead at both 1440p and 4k.

The extra VRAM will likely give a longer life span as well.

FSR is much improved and while it arguably doesn't produce as clean an upscale image as DLSS at 1440p the differences are marginal.

The 4070 super is considerably more efficient and uses less power but whether this is of a concern is a personal choice although it depends on what PSU you have. If you in the decent 850w range then you are fine. You also have the traditional 8pin connections rather than the newer 12pin although the issues these have had does not really come into play at this GPU segment.

AMD cards are competitive in this segment of cards both from a performance and price perspective. Drivers are now solid and have been for some time from what I can see.

I went Nvidia as I didn't want to go much above £600 and the performance of the 4070 super - combined with the astheatics were what I wanted. I don't think you would be disappointed with either but if you have the money then I don't think you would be disappointed with a 7900xt.