Question RAM damaged again.. what is causing it ?

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Hello my name is christopher a french canadian that moved to the philippines it is no secret that philippines has static issues and their power lines so to counter that i've been using a ups for the past 3 months however today my computer started crying and telling me that the ram is damaged again could it be a broken motherboard for a crappy psu ???. Running memtest now....4th pass...

Last time my PC **** [Moderator edit to to remove gender offensive reference.] **** bad ram, It was using a faulty avr (automatic voltage regulator...) but recently I plugged my tower straight to a Chinese dc to ac inverter.. I hope that didn't pump a surge into my PC.. I thought inverters were safe... no biggie, I ordered 16gb.. it should arrive within 5-7 days..., I just want to know what is causing this to not repeat itself...

The PSU is a Filipinoe brand name YGT 750
Apu is amd 7680... Mobo.. no idea tbh.. current ram is brandless.
But I ordered Kingston to replace the 2 dimms I've got

Last edited by a moderator:

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
If you have dirty power coming in the best PSU in the world won't save you. Look in to a line conditioner or high quality UPS. (You do also need a better quality PSU, but if the power at the wall is an issue, that's not enough on its own.)

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
If you have dirty power coming in the best PSU in the world won't save you. Look in to a line conditioner or high quality UPS. (You do also need a better quality PSU, but if the power at the wall is an issue, that's not enough on its own.)
oh.. did not know.. i thought any static in the power would stop inside any battery inside the ups.....and additionally.. the ups has an avr.. im assuming you kow what that is already

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
small update.. i ran memtest.. the last one that sais experimental.. had 1 error 14 after 1 pass... and just played light ram games since.. then.. i tried fallout 4 as one does.. ZERO problems... then i tried my favourite mmo.. eve online.. no problems.. the BSOD are gone.. dunno what happened but i think the ram is fine.. i received the kingston ram but i wont put them in until i receive my antec psu...

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
getting bsod's again.. i suspect my luck ran out.. i ordered a new ups.. brand called intex... and an antec psu... and 16 gb of ddr3 kingston ram..... once i make sure the ups isnt poop.. i will duct tape everything together.. (jk about duct tape)...

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Yeah... RAM problems don't fix themselves.

It isn't necessarily the RAM causing the errors, though that's the place to start. Could also be the motherboard (unlikely) or the CPU's integrated memory controller. That said, if replacing the RAM and PSU doesn't fix it, please don't put any more money in to this dead platform - you're much better off saving up for an entirely new platform.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
just for fun.. i made a test today to see if mt pc would shut off if i unplug a wire from the ups battery... i guess its a built in relay or. something... pc stayed on.. jesus i hope it uses a damn good AVR...

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012

It isn't necessarily the RAM causing the errors, though that's the place to start. Could also be the motherboard (unlikely) or the CPU's integrated memory controller. That said, if replacing the RAM and PSU doesn't fix it, please don't put any more money in to this dead platform - you're much better off saving up for an entirely new platform.
as much as a new Ryzen 9 would tickle my daddy no no place... that wont happen im trying to save fjor a bigger solar system.. inverter... more panels.. more batteries .. an electric scooter.. no not the standing suicide one.. .. and why not.. an old mercedes... the intex inverter i received today did not turn anything on.. even with this same 12v 7ah ups battery which wasnt included...

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012

i do have a gaming laptop back home in quebec... msi gf65 thinue....
and the only person there that can ship it to me is my 74 yr old mum and everyone is telling her nono because nobody wants to ship lithium batteries after that exploding samsung thing a few yrs ago...

this laptop is more than enough to play starfield...16gb ddr4
i7 i think.. and a nvidia 360 or simliar...

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
got my new computer power supply unit... hopefully it offers a little more computer protection than the Filipinoe brand psu... but tbh, im a bit hesitant to connect it to the local power grid.. i dont know if the wiring here was done by a local 11 yr old or a certified electrician

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
i had a * IT moment and duct taped everything in.. ummm.. it works.. im even safely using it on solar power for the past hour....

before.. when i tried to turn my system on using the YGT psu.. and the inverter... the monitor would display "no signal". i suspect it has to do with the AMD apu ive got.. and the video out wasnt getting the power it needed.. im doing great right now.. i KNEW antec wouuld fix everything...

Last edited by a moderator: