Question Remote Desktop needs several tries before it connects ?

Inkognito

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I've been having trouble connecting to Remote Desktop on Windows Server 2012.
For years now, I've just gotten used to sometimes having to try to connect 50 times or more, before I get to input user and password credentials and finally connecting.
Sometimes though, it works the first time I try.

The messages I'm getting over and over again when trying to connect from Windows 10 is:
"This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator."

or:
"An internal error has occurred"

When trying to connect from the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on Android I get the message:
"Unable to connect
We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network and that remote access is enabled.
Error code: 0x204"

or:
"The connection to the remote PC was lost. This might be because of a network connection problem. If this keeps happening contact your network administrator for assistance.
Error code: 0x7"

I am the network administrator, and yesterday I replaced the old router with a much never one, and now the problem is even worse.

I always eventually get connected and everything runs fine (no disconnections).

Any ideas?

Ralston18

Titan
As above, per @lantis3.

= = = =

However, as I understand the posted problem, connectivity eventually works but on an intermittent basis.

Which suggests to me that there is some other issue or conflict involved.

Are you making the remote desktop connection from within the network and/or from outside of the network?

Are you able to provide a simple network diagram showing the devices involved? And indicate or otherwise highlight the problem connection(s) path?

More technically speaking - network topology.

E.g., Modems, Routers, Servers, computers, switches, and other devices hosted on the network. Or remotely accessing the target server.

I am thinking in terms of network loops, duplicate IP addresses, and so forth.

Having a sense of the overall network will prove helpful.

Reactions: Inkognito

Inkognito

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
ISP modem -> Router (TP-Link TLWDR4900) -> Switch (very old).

The TP-Link router does the DHCP.

Lots of different clients are connecting to the network every day.
Mostly through wireless access points.
The server is connected with a cable.

I'm accessing the server remotely from outside the network (using external IP).

We also access the server locally through a Thin Client.
Now that I think about it. There are never any issues when connecting locally.

We're not using MAC binding or Address reservation (we were advised not to use that).

I'm noticing that today, where almost no one is using the network that I'm connecting to the server with a lot fewer attempts.

Inkognito

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I'll keep an eye on the bandwidth the next few days, to see if there is a correlation.

About the MAC binding:
Around 10 years ago, I asked about it, when setting up a new network. I was told by our external tech support that it was best not to mess with that.
That is all I know.
I use MAC binding at home.
I should probably consider reserving an address for the main server at least.
Well, I'm just a receptionist put in charge of IT, to save money :)

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Server should always has a fixed IP address. Individual PC / client that does not serve any service doens't care.

Can't imagine how much trouble you have to deal with if the server does not have a static IP. The only case you are running a server without a static IP is that it's not a domain controller.