Question RTX 3070 vs RX 6700 XT vs RX 6800

May 7, 2024
Hello yall!

I'm on the hunt for a new GPU and could use some advice. I've managed to negotiate these deals on Facebook Marketplace:
  • PowerColor RX 6700 XT for $300 CAD
  • RX 6800 for $400 CAD
  • ASUS Strix RTX 3070 for $325 CAD
Here's some context:
  1. My Setup:
  • I have an LG C1 TV that maxes out at 120Hz, so I'm likely gaming around 1440p.
  • I play AAA games like Forza and Tekken 8, <Content Removed>
  1. Performance Comparison:
  • PowerColor RX 6700 XT:
    • $/FPS: 3.1 (the lower the better, so this is 10% better than the 6800's)
    • VRAM: 12GB
    • Memory Bus: 192-bit
  • RX 6800:
    • Approximately 19% better performance than the RX 6700 XT
    • $/FPS: 3.4 (so 10% worse than the 6700 XT)
    • VRAM: 16GB
    • Memory Bus: 256-bit
  • ASUS Strix RTX 3070:
    • $/FPS: 3.3 (close to the RX 6800)
    • VRAM: 8GB
    • DLSS support would have been great, but I'm concerned about the 8GB VRAM bottleneck that's becoming more prominent in newer games.
My Budget:
  • I can't go beyond $400 CAD for a GPU.
The Dilemma:
  • Do I go for the budget-friendly PowerColor RX 6700 XT, stretch for the extra performance and VRAM of the RX 6800, or should I consider the ASUS Strix RTX 3070 (with DLSS) despite potential VRAM limitations?
I'm conscious about budget ($/FPS), but I wouldn't say no to better performance and DLSS if it's worth it. Any insights or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
what are your system specs ?
which graphics card will you be replacing ?
generally speaking i would not advice you to pay for rtx 3070 -
this card did not age well at all .
it´s biggest problem is the lack of VRAM as you correctly pointed out .
xtreme preset in forza is already pushing 8gb of VRAM .

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What PSU are you working with? How old is the unit? What processor/ram/motherboard combo are you on? I wouldn't buy anything from the 3000 series instead something concurrent, AMD's GPU's tend to have a bump in performance as their drivers mature over time(or as a swansong for their product's EoL).

May 7, 2024
My System Specs... It's my first build and only the GPU is missing!
Here's the breakdown:

• CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 with stock cooler ($230, new from CanadaComputers)
  • PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ 80 Plus Gold ($80, used from Facebook Marketplace)
  • RAM: XPG Lancer Blade 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6400MHz CL32 (Hynix A-die) ($125, new from CanadaComputers)
  • Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 ($60, new from Amazon.ca)
  • SSD: Adata 1TB ($80, bought it new a while back)
  • Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WiFi ProSeries Motherboard ($110, used from eBay)
  • Fans: 3-pack of 140mm fans ($40)
  • Total: $1,035 (if I go with the RX 6700 XT) vs. $1,135 (if I choose the RX 6800), including taxes.

So, looking at the total value of the build, the $100 increase between the RX 6700 XT and RX 6800 only amounts to a 10% increase in the total budget for a 19% performance increase. But from the gpu budget standpoint, it's a 33% $ increase.

Let me know if you have any more thoughts!

Edit : SSD: Adata 1TB ($80, bought it new a while back)

The other question is how long do you want to keep the card? The 6800 is basically about equal to a 7700xt 12gb but with extra vram. Personally I say get the 6800.

However if you are in the USA, you can get the 7700xt for 380 new.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...l-12go/p/N82E16814930109?item=N82E16814930109

Or Newegg also has a brand new 6800 foot 370.

https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-6800-rx-68xlaqfd9/p/27N-0002-00117?item=9SIA2W0K438626

I’d consider one of those unless you’re just really getting an incredible deal on the used cards. They would be a toss up I think. The 7700xt I think can do ray tracing a little better but on the other hand the 6800 has the extra vram which if you’re keeping the card a while may help it stay relevant a little longer.

May 7, 2024
As long as I can!

Here in Canada, the RX 7700 XT is around $670 CAD with taxes, which is much more than $400 for a used RX 6800. So, the used RX 6800 seems like a much better value for me.

Thanks again for the links and advice!

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
You did your homework, and it checks out. 6800 is the best value but...

There's two problems. The 6800XT is old but will still serve you for a few years. A newer GPU would serve longer. There's a slew of new GPUs coming in q4 2024 and q1 2025, and you should know that $300-400 will buy you more GPU then. If you can, then wait.

But the other problem is bigger. The PSU is coming to the end of it's warranty or is there already. So you'll need a new one, esp. if you're buying a power hungry GPU, or looking to upgrade to it soon.
You will also want an ATX 3.0 PSU

A used PSU with only 5y warranty is a bad choice. You don't need 1k watts for a 6800XT either.
A 850w SeaSonic or Super Flower is my recommendation.

Settling for the 6700XT leaves you with some money for a long term PSU (10+ years warranty)
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...ertified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bn505
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...ly-modular-atx-power-supply-atx3-focus-gx-850

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
May 7, 2024
You did your homework, and it checks out. 6800 is the best value but...

There's two problems. The 6800XT is old but will still serve you for a few years. A newer GPU would serve longer. There's a slew of new GPUs coming in q4 2024 and q1 2025, and you should know that $300-400 will buy you more GPU then. If you can, then wait.

But the other problem is bigger. The PSU is coming to the end of it's warranty or is there already. So you'll need a new one, esp. if you're buying a power hungry GPU, or looking to upgrade to it soon.
You will also want an ATX 3.0 PSU

A used PSU with only 5y warranty is a bad choice. You don't need 1k watts for a 6800XT either.
A 850w SeaSonic or Super Flower is my recommendation.

Settling for the 6700XT leaves you with some money for a long term PSU (10+ years warranty)
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...ertified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bn505
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...ly-modular-atx-power-supply-atx3-focus-gx-850
PSU Concerns:I have an EVGA 1000 GQ 80 Plus Gold PSU that's 10 years old but offers lots of headroom in terms of wattage (1000W) and is a quality psu (B-tier if I remember well) from a reputable brand. Given its age, should I be concerned about using it? Is it really such a high risk to take?

The limited data I could find points towards an approximately 5% annual failure rate after 10 years for PSUs. Also, my build might require in the ballpark of 600-700W max, which is significantly below its capacity.

GPU Perspective:As for the GPU, the RTX 5070 might come out in about a year. Since I typically buy GPUs used, we can expect it to take 6-12 months for used prices to drop following its launch. I'm currently assembling my first PC, so surely I shouldn't wait 1-2 years to finish my build, right?

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks again!

Edit : the RTX 5070* might come out in about a year

Last edited:

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
I have an EVGA 1000 GQ 80 Plus Gold PSU that's 10 years old but offers lots of headroom in terms of wattage (1000W) and is a quality psu (B-tier if I remember well) from a reputable brand. Given its age, should I be concerned about using it? Is it really such a high risk to take?
It's 10 years old, so yes.
It's out of warranty so yes. It's been out of warranty 5 years.

It was a good PSU when new, but it is a time bomb now.
It can damage everything connected to it. You should be worried. Sorry, but yes you should.

Capacity is not the problem, that is true. Even with some degradation, it can supply enough power.
Since I typically buy GPUs used, we can expect it to take 6-12 months for used prices to drop following its launch. I'm currently assembling my first PC, so surely I shouldn't wait 1-2 years to finish my build, right?
That would be too long without a GPU.

Consider this. If you spend more money, then upgrade within 10-12 months, the money will be wasted. So the obvious choice is to spend less. That way less money is wasted.

On the other hand, if you buy a more expensive, but better GPU, maybe you don't want to upgrade for another 1-2 years, maybe 2.5. Even less money wasted.

Prices of GPUs have dropped recently. That helps.
Finally, there is not even that much difference between the 6700XT and 6800XT. None of the GPUs are great for 1440p. Decent though.

Please buy a PSU. It's none of my business, and i've had one going for 12 years but i feel i should urge you at least.

Hello yall!

I'm on the hunt for a new GPU and could use some advice. I've managed to negotiate these deals on Facebook Marketplace:
  • PowerColor RX 6700 XT for $300 CAD
  • RX 6800 for $400 CAD
  • ASUS Strix RTX 3070 for $325 CAD
Here's some context:
  1. My Setup:
  • I have an LG C1 TV that maxes out at 120Hz, so I'm likely gaming around 1440p.
  • I play AAA games like Forza and Tekken 8, <Content Removed>
  1. Performance Comparison:
  • PowerColor RX 6700 XT:
    • $/FPS: 3.1 (the lower the better, so this is 10% better than the 6800's)
    • VRAM: 12GB
    • Memory Bus: 192-bit
  • RX 6800:
    • Approximately 19% better performance than the RX 6700 XT
    • $/FPS: 3.4 (so 10% worse than the 6700 XT)
    • VRAM: 16GB
  • ASUS Strix RTX 3070:
    • $/FPS: 3.3 (close to the RX 6800)
    • VRAM: 8GB
    • DLSS support would have been great, but I'm concerned about the 8GB VRAM bottleneck that's becoming more prominent in newer games.
My Budget:
  • I can't go beyond $400 CAD for a GPU.
The Dilemma:
  • Do I go for the budget-friendly PowerColor RX 6700 XT, stretch for the extra performance and VRAM of the RX 6800, or should I consider the ASUS Strix RTX 3070 (with DLSS) despite potential VRAM limitations?
I'm conscious about budget ($/FPS), but I wouldn't say no to better performance and DLSS if it's worth it. Any insights or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

rx6800 its really not even a contest

256 bit
16gb
low power doesnt have the power bugs that the rdna 3 has which is still not solved.

May 7, 2024
It's 10 years old, so yes.
It's out of warranty so yes. It's been out of warranty 5 years.

It was a good PSU when new, but it is a time bomb now.
It can damage everything connected to it. You should be worried. Sorry, but yes you should.

Capacity is not the problem, that is true. Even with some degradation, it can supply enough power.

That would be too long without a GPU.

Consider this. If you spend more money, then upgrade within 10-12 months, the money will be wasted. So the obvious choice is to spend less. That way less money is wasted.

On the other hand, if you buy a more expensive, but better GPU, maybe you don't want to upgrade for another 1-2 years, maybe 2.5. Even less money wasted.

Prices of GPUs have dropped recently. That helps.
Finally, there is not even that much difference between the 6700XT and 6800XT. None of the GPUs are great for 1440p. Decent though.

Please buy a PSU. It's none of my business, and i've had one going for 12 years but i feel i should urge you at least.
Thank you for your concern and advice.

I understand your point about the 10-year-old EVGA PSU being out of warranty and posing a potential risk. I'll make it a priority to buy a new PSU once I have the budget for it. In the meantime, I'll be cautious and continue running on the old EVGA 1000 GQ.

As for the GPU, I agree that waiting 1-2 years to finish my build isn't practical. I'm considering the RX 6800 as it offers a good balance between price and performance at 1440p. I'll keep the PSU upgrade in mind and look for a reliable replacement soon.

Thanks for pointing out the power bugs with RDNA 3. I understand now that the RX 6800 doesn't have those issues, which makes it a more reliable choice in terms of power consumption.

I'll go with the RX 6800 and monitor power consumption closely with my old EVGA PSU until I can upgrade it.

Thanks again for your thoughtful advice!

Thank you for your concern and advice.

I understand your point about the 10-year-old EVGA PSU being out of warranty and posing a potential risk. I'll make it a priority to buy a new PSU once I have the budget for it. In the meantime, I'll be cautious and continue running on the old EVGA 1000 GQ.

As for the GPU, I agree that waiting 1-2 years to finish my build isn't practical. I'm considering the RX 6800 as it offers a good balance between price and performance at 1440p. I'll keep the PSU upgrade in mind and look for a reliable replacement soon.

Thanks for pointing out the power bugs with RDNA 3. I understand now that the RX 6800 doesn't have those issues, which makes it a more reliable choice in terms of power consumption.

I'll go with the RX 6800 and monitor power consumption closely with my old EVGA PSU until I can upgrade it.

Thanks again for your thoughtful advice!

i would go with a seasonic focus 850w gold or higher

rdna 2 only short coming was some older direct x games you may need to force anti aliasing in the software on amd side.

rdna 3 power bugs wildly jump all over the place especially in a multi monitor set up. this is most likely unlike rdna 2.

rdna 3 uses chiplet design.

rdna 2 is just 1 big die. where is rdna 3 is a several chips cut up and glued together more or less which does increase more points of failure.

i found my rx 6700xt was quite stable power wise so you shouldnt see much fluctuations.