Question Ryzen 5 3600 compatible with RDIMM RAM? Budget LLM build

Eriksen89

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
Hi all.
I have a desktop running a small LLM via a Home Assistant add-on (Oobabooga), and I've hit the ceiling on the model size I can "effectively" use.
Currently I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and 16GB of RAM, on a Lenovo "special" motherboard. I will need to change out the motherboard.
The idea is to get a new motherboard and use server RAM since I can get it cheap. For this I was considering 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SI sticks, and 4 of them, for a total of 128GB RAM.

After extensive googling I am still not able to definitively tell if this is possible with the CPU I have. I don't need the ECC function, I just need the capacity. I was considering the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI motherboard, again due to it being cost-friendly.

Any insight is very welcome.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're changing the motherboard get a B450 chipset board or a B550 chipset if that's cheaper than a B450 chipset board. As for your ram, you can look at a DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit if B450. If you're looking towards a B550 chipset board, then pick out a DDR4-3600MHz dual channel ram kit.

If you're looking for stability in your build, look at the rams listed in your chosen motherboard's QVL.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Ryzen CPU will technically work with ECC non-registered, but it all depends on the motherboard implementation. And I have gone down this same path looking for a suitable motherboard (NAS build) and yes it’s freaking impossible finding clear specs on the product pages.

The best discussion I could find about this was this Reddit post. Asrock and Asus seem to be the most likely to work. Good luck.

(Another link here)

Postscript: looks like your specified RAM is registered ECC, so it probably won’t work regardless of which motherboard you choose.

Last edited: