Question Samsung ssd temperature

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi , i have a p991a (or pm, not sure)
today i made a ssd benchmark to know the exact speed.
my temps went around 84C
and crystal Disk info gave me critical error alarm.

i don't know what should i do.
that slot doesn't have any heatsink (other one does, and i am using a more expensive ssd on that slot )

should I do something? like put thermal pad UNDER ssd? btw mobo and ssd? use one on top of it? or just leave it like that

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Benchmark tests push drives to the limits and it's not strange for the drive to get hot during that. It's temps during everyday 'normal' use you'd have to consider.

Check drive temps while under normal load, idle and heavier loads like copying (read or write operations) and see how hot it runs. If it's under 70C it's safe (according to Samsung sepcs). If it is around 40-50C most of the time and gets a bit hotter when installing things or loading OS/apps and so on it's mostly OK.

If it runs hot when idle or exceeds the 70C too much you can always get a heatsink. Although when these SSDs exceed the safe temps (70C here) they throttle down to make less heat.

You can check drive temps with HWiNFO from here. There's a portable version that doesn't need installation. Just run it and check temps.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Benchmark tests push drives to the limits and it's not strange for the drive to get hot during that. It's temps during everyday 'normal' use you'd have to consider.

Check drive temps while under normal load, idle and heavier loads like copying (read or write operations) and see how hot it runs. If it's under 70C it's safe (according to Samsung sepcs). If it is around 40-50C most of the time and gets a bit hotter when installing things or loading OS/apps and so on it's mostly OK.

If it runs hot when idle or exceeds the 70C too much you can always get a heatsink. Although when these SSDs exceed the safe temps (70C here) they throttle down to make less heat.

You can check drive temps with HWiNFO from here. There's a portable version that doesn't need installation. Just run it and check temps.
idle is around 50-60 , but i just bought this nvme to install my OS on.

is there a separate heatsink to purchase?
how about using thermal pad UNDER it , so it make contact to mobo?
(its really easy thing to do because this nvme have only 1 IC and the rest of PCB board have Nothing else in)

so i should aim for under 70 , right?

i didn't have enough time for further tests. device still have 0 hour use time..

the thing that concerned me is that, its almost behind my GPU.
i wonder how hot it gets when GPU is under load as well.

Please list full specs of your system.
What pc case are you using?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Idle temperature on well ventilated system should be ~ 40C (with ambient ~25C).
60C at idle is excessive. Probably heavily suffocated air-flow.
Yes.
M.2 Heatsink

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Please list full specs of your system.
What pc case are you using?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Idle temperature on well ventilated system should be ~ 40C (with ambient ~25C).
60C at idle is excessive. Probably heavily suffocated air-flow.

Yes.
M.2 Heatsink
i will, when i get back home.
there is No side panel on my case. its always open

p.s: i may be wrong.
i meant, after benchmark, it droped really fast to 50-60 from 84...
my goal was to know exact speed. and then, red alarm showed up.

and as i mentioned, 0 hour use time.
didn't get the chance to test everything.
i thought its equal to idle but i'm not sure.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If you'd provide full system specs we'd know what we're dealing with. Including where exactly the M.2 slots are and where you're planning to put what drive. Include chassis brand model too. The chassis you have, number and kind of fans you have, their position in the case and other components in there will help us get a picture of the general air flow in the case.

Although you can't predict how hot anything will run at idle and under load. Only when you have everything in there running you can monitor temps at idle and under load and try to remedy anything if necessary.

So get the system going. If under 'normal' heavy load the SSD temps don't go beyond 70C you're good. If it does momentarily spike to +80C and goes down quickly to around what is OK you don't need to worry. Again, if it stays above 50C during idle you can get a heatsink.

there is No side panel on my case. its always open
Generally, this doesn't help air flow and in many scenarios/situations makes it worse, as in components run hotter. Although this depends on case model. A low quality badly-designd case with no proper intake and output fans might benefit from an open side panel.

That's not too bad. As I said something between 40-50C is OK. If you can keep it 40ish it's even better.

Yes there are different kinds. The better ones usually come with their own thermal pads prestuck to the sink. User would only have to peel off some thin protection plastic/film (covering the thermal pads) before sticking the sink on the SSD.

how about using thermal pad UNDER it , so it make contact to mobo?
(its really easy thing to do because this nvme have only 1 IC and the rest of PCB board have Nothing else in)
No you should'd do that. The motherboard is not a heatsink, it's PCB as you said. The sinks that come with some drives by defualt or the ones you add to them go on top of the SSD; not under it.

the thing that concerned me is that, its almost behind my GPU
Where is behind? When a normal tower case is upright the Graphics card is perpendicular to the motherboard (parallel to the 'floor'. In that position the M.2 slots are either above the PCIE slot/graphics card or under it.

As said above, post a picture of the innards of the chassis and we'll see what's what.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
If you'd provide full system specs we'd know what we're dealing with. Including where exactly the M.2 slots are and where you're planning to put what drive. Include chassis brand model too. The chassis you have, number and kind of fans you have, their position in the case and other components in there will help us get a picture of the general air flow in the case.

Although you can't predict how hot anything will run at idle and under load. Only when you have everything in there running you can monitor temps at idle and under load and try to remedy anything if necessary.

So get the system going. If under 'normal' heavy load the SSD temps don't go beyond 70C you're good. If it does momentarily spike to +80C and goes down quickly to around what is OK you don't need to worry. Again, if it stays above 50C during idle you can get a heatsink.

Generally, this doesn't help air flow and in many scenarios/situations makes it worse, as in components run hotter. Although this depends on case model. A low quality badly-designd case with no proper intake and output fans might benefit from an open side panel.

That's not too bad. As I said something between 40-50C is OK. If you can keep it 40ish it's even better.

Yes there are different kinds. The better ones usually come with their own thermal pads prestuck to the sink. User would only have to peel off some thin protection plastic/film (covering the thermal pads) before sticking the sink on the SSD.

No you should'd do that. The motherboard is not a heatsink, it's PCB as you said. The sinks that come with some drives by defualt or the ones you add to them go on top of the SSD; not under it.

Where is behind? When a normal tower case is upright the Graphics card is perpendicular to the motherboard (parallel to the 'floor'. In that position the M.2 slots are either above the PCIE slot/graphics card or under it.

As said above, post a picture of the innards of the chassis and we'll see what's what.
Asus b660ma
and yes , exactly behind (Under) the tail of gpu.

my main ssd is on top.
this ssd for OS , is on the bottom slot. half of it is exactly behind GPU tail

i used a mental and fixed it on top of the ssd with some thermal pad between them.
now its under 63 under normal load, while stress test was around 70. and idle is 45-46.

i didn't test gaming which make my gpu fans to spin and throw hot air to the ssd, but since i wont install games on this drive,
i believe its fine