Question Should i get that 212 evo?

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
I found a really good deal for a hyper 212 evo but it have some missing things
2 of the 4 things that hold the standoff from the back of the motherboard are missing would that affect anything
it is very cheap like 15$ it is worth it but i just wanted to ask if that will effect temps

g-unit1111

Titan
wdym if the cooler can be placed properly it should be good

No, it won't. Just don't. If you're looking to save money that's not the place I would save money. Especially if you happen to be going with any current gen Intel or AMD CPU. If you do take this route and your CPU fries because of improper cooler installation, don't say we didn't warn you.

This isn't like some fixer-upper 15-year-old sports car that you got at a deal that only has only a few things wrong that you know how to replace. This is a nearly non-existent deal on an easy-to-obtain, inexpensive entry-level part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Desch_

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can usually buy a used Hyper 212 for $15-$20 plus $5 shipping. Getting "paid" $5 for the time to get the right replacement parts, the effort to find and obtain the right replacement parts, and the money used to purchase the right replacement parts is just about the worst deal I can imagine.

Reactions: Jason H.

g-unit1111

Titan
You can usually buy a used Hyper 212 for $15-$20 plus $5 shipping. Getting "paid" $5 for the time to get the right replacement parts, the effort to find and obtain the right replacement parts, and the money used to purchase the right replacement parts is just about the worst deal I can imagine.

I wouldn't use a Hyper 212 on a current generation CPU anyways especially Intel. Spending $30 more on a cooler on a $1,000 budget or a $1250 budget isn't going to make or break the bank anyways, and I would personally rather be safe than sorry. Putting a cooler with missing parts on a CPU like that is just asking for trouble.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
I wouldn't use a Hyper 212 on a current generation CPU anyways especially Intel. Spending $30 more on a cooler on a $1,000 budget or a $1250 budget isn't going to make or break the bank anyways, and I would personally rather be safe than sorry. Putting a cooler with missing parts on a CPU like that is just asking for trouble.
My cpu isn't a current gen it is an i7 3770,As u said i wouldn't put this cooler on current gen processors,i think it would be fine

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Yea but here where i live hyper 212 evos are pretty rare and if u found one it would be like 45$, but the missing parts the seller said he had a replacement for the stand off holders the 2 missing of them he have a replacement but it isn't from cooler master or anything they are just similar to the ones that comes with the cooler

g-unit1111

Titan
Yea but here where i live hyper 212 evos are pretty rare and if u found one it would be like 45$, but the missing parts the seller said he had a replacement for the stand off holders the 2 missing of them he have a replacement but it isn't from cooler master or anything they are just similar to the ones that comes with the cooler

Yes but again and I can't emphasize this enough, by buying that used cooler, you put your whole system at risk with improper cooler installation. If you install your CPU cooler wrong, you're going to have a bad time, that's all there is to it.

Also, where do you live? Because there's probably much better coolers available for the same price. For modern AMD and Intel CPUs, that cooler is a bit outdated. You can get much better ones from Noctua and so on for around the same price.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Yes but again and I can't emphasize this enough, by buying that used cooler, you put your whole system at risk with improper cooler installation. If you install your CPU cooler wrong, you're going to have a bad time, that's all there is to it.

Also, where do you live? Because there's probably much better coolers available for the same price. For modern AMD and Intel CPUs, that cooler is a bit outdated. You can get much better ones from Noctua and so on for around the same price.
Egypt, Not good cooler deals here, btw this 212 evo got sold

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
It's worse. it's only 92mm and 3 heatpipes.

The 212's are 120mm and 4 heatpipes.

Which CPU do you have, is it overclocked , and what sites are available for you to shop at?
Perhaps we can help find something
only local stores and local websites, i have an i7 3770, it heats because of the stock cooler and i wanted to overclock it to 4.3 ghz by the + 400 mhz over the turbo ratio method,i have no amazon no ebay or even newegg only local stores and websites, nothing good their i will just wait to get a good cooler, i really want a 212 evo but i can't find it anywhere here

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
You'll most definitely want a '120mm fan' cooler with at least 4 heatpipes then. You can even get a few degrees more cooling if you add a fan on the backside of the 212 (blowing out the back of the case).

Good luck!
and my temps are pretty high on stock cooler cpu package is 51c and cpu only 43c on idle while gaming cpu package is 78c cpu 72c, im using hwinfo to get temps measure