Review Skypad Mousepad 3.0 Review: The Future is Glass

LaminarFlow

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
Icemat, talking about a name I haven't heard in a long time but see it in front of me every day. I'm still using the Icemat 2nd gen that I bought in 2006.

I've tried to convince myself to switch to something else multiple times in the past decade+, but there is no suitable alternative because I need something small-ish to fit my desk space setup, and I actually like the cool feeling of glass, and the relatively ease to clean. That plus the Icemat just wouldn't damn break. Why would it though since it's just a slab of glass.

Will seriously look into this and burst out tap measure to see if the medium one will fit my size requirement. Fits well with the color scheme of rest of my setup too.

Reactions: thestryker

Giroro

Splendid
I don't know if $90 is worth it when generic glass mousepads cost around $20.

But what I did learn is that this company sells multiple styles of "gaming sleeve" with the main selling point being:
  • ✅ For added comfort when using our mousepad
51MsVB8icxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So If I need to buy the mousepad in order to justify my new gaming sleeve, then so be it.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I remember some of the earliest mice in Sun SPARCstations, which in 1989 already used an optical sensor but required a metal pad with optical markings etched into it to work. While the precision and speed was much better than the mechanical mice of the day (much less effort cleaning them, too), I quite remember being constantly irked by the metal's higher level of thermal conductivity: the right palm of my hand always felt a bit cold and that might have permanently biased me against anything pad underneath my mice.

Since then I've preferred to go padless on a XXL wooden table I built and painted myself at the time, whose surface I actually expected having to repaint periodically, but it's held up just fine so far. And in terms of thermal conductivity and touch comfort wood is very hard to beat.

But I do notice that my gaming kids all seem to use pads on their wooden tables, so I guess in a professionally competitive environment you need to trade comfort for precision and speed.

Ah and yes, with ceramic tiles on the floor, I'd hate indistructible pads and tiles have go at each other: either winner would have me loose something...

Ever had a PC case with a glass side panel?

Tempered glass is a gamble by its actual design.

it can, for any reason, at any time, just shatter.

is it common? no but doesnt mean it wont happen.

Just get a high quality metal or fabric mousepad/mat and save your $.