Question Speakers connected to motherboard won’t work

Aug 29, 2022
I recently built a new pc and I noticed that when I plug my speakers into my pc, nothing happens (computer won’t recognize that I plugged them in, etc.) and sound won’t come from the speakers although they work fine when plugged into the back of my monitor. I checked my BIOS and everything audio related was enabled. I then went through and uninstalled/reinstalled Realtek through both realteks website and from my mobos drivers page online, but nothing changed. I quickly realized that Realtek doesn’t even show up in my device manager page, even after showing hidden devices to make sure it wasn’t disabled somehow. Any help would be fantastic! Thank you!

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B550M-A (wi-fi)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC
RAM: 32GB DDR4 RAM

Ralston18

Titan
Take a close look at the I/O ports and connections. Do any of the case ports work?

Make and model speakers? Any splitters, adapters, extension cables, etc.?

Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

Doing so should present a black window with and number (likely 4 or 5) of white font audio related choices.

Start with the troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Then, if necessary, explore the other menu choices including all Windows, Tabs, and Properties. Do not immediately change anything. Just look and determine if all is as expected. If not, make some notes and finish looking about.

Once done, go back to any setting or configuration in question and change as you deem applicable and appropriate. Change only one thing at a time and, again, keep notes about the change, What was changed, where, original value, and new value. Keep careful track in case you need to undo some change.

Are the speakers powered/amplified, or do they require an external amplifier?

If the speakers are passive (non-powered) the monitor may be providing the required amplification for speaker-level output, but the motherboard audio outputs are line-level (need amplification).

brendanbaby

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Maybe we have the same problem; the ONLY option my PC gives me regarding sound output is DIGITAL AUDIO (s/PDIF) HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE, nowhere can I find a menu to choose analog speakers or headphone, literally nowhere. This all started after installing Win 10 to a second hand HDD, I tried another Win 10, still nothing, then I bought a new SSD and installed a Win 10 that I know works, nothing......I thought it was the onboard sound card on the Jetway MB but I tried running a linux based OS from a USB and when using it the sound works perfectly, is there perhaps a BIOS setting that I need to adjust? I'm not computer savvy, ahem, or is that already apparent!!! Any and all assistance greatly appreciated in advance!