Question ssd dead(?) after power outage

matua2

Honorable
Apr 10, 2019
okay so i left my pc open while i was out for like an hour or 2 and due to a power outage my pc was shut down.

after i tried turning it on again it wouldn't boot, after rearranging boot orders and such I got my pc to boot to desktop but my secondary sata SSD stopped working, it shows up in the explorer as Local Disk E: but I can't access it, it shows no storage, can't even open disk management, can't run chkdsk on it, basically i can't do anything to it, is it completely dead?

the ssd is samsung 870 evo 1tb

Depending on your location, you may have a right to claim cost of damage from the local power company.

A broken storage device can be replaced. Do you have backup of any important data on that ssd device ?

matua2

Honorable
Apr 10, 2019
Depending on your location, you may have a right to claim cost of damage from the local power company.

A broken storage device can be replaced. Do you have backup of any important data on that ssd device ?
no backups unfortunately

Feb 2, 2024
In my experience my pc has been shut off soo many times by storms, outages, planned outages, having to service it, in anger due to windows being awful, literally hundreds of times spanning probably 5-6 samsung sata ssds and a few other brands. No once has anything like this happened, I'm a butcher when it comes to these things, windows starts running awful, instead of waiting 3mins to restart I just hit the switch at the wall. My pcs get no respect, they either work or get abused, its their choice.

This also happens on my thinkpads, I'm a butcher and many times I just pull the cord, or the battery.
So I don't think anything like this will cause harm to an ssd or it must be extremely rare. Only bad things that have happened is any file that was cutting from one place to another during the abrupt power off may be lost on both drives.

This also happens on my thinkpads, I'm a butcher and many times I just pull the cord, or the battery.
So I don't think anything like this will cause harm to an ssd or it must be extremely rare.
Fyi Power outage from the electrical company is a very different thing compared to a wall adapter plug being pulled out. A fault in the electrical grid have the potential to generate pretty violent voltage spikes. This may or may not kill connected electric equipment, especially if there are no over voltage protection installed in the house. If this turns out to be the root cause, you will typically see more than one electrical device being damaged.

I'm not an ssd expert, but taking use of this perplexity search engine seems to give some insight <link> - pointing to here:

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
okay so i left my pc open while i was out for like an hour or 2 and due to a power outage my pc was shut down.

after i tried turning it on again it wouldn't boot, after rearranging boot orders and such I got my pc to boot to desktop but my secondary sata SSD stopped working, it shows up in the explorer as Local Disk E: but I can't access it, it shows no storage, can't even open disk management, can't run chkdsk on it, basically i can't do anything to it, is it completely dead?

the ssd is samsung 870 evo 1tb

you can try connecting the ssd to the pc using a usb-sata adapter for an hour or so before trying to boot it up again..............or leaving just the sata power cable connected to the ssd..............if this doesn't work after a couple times, then the ssd is gone