BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Putting together a new system for a media server, and I cannot get an OS installed on the SSD that I purchased. It's a Team MP44L 1TB PCIe 4.0 drive. Here's the specs below:

ASRock B660M Pro RS DDR4 motherboard (new)
Intel i5-12500 (used)
32GBx2 Oloy random 3200Mhz memory (used)
Team MP44L 1TB NVME SSD (new)
Silverstone Essential 550W Gold PSU (new)

That's everything I'm currently testing. The i5 was purchased off Ebay, (smaller seller with good ratings. Looks to only be selling CPUs from probably salvaged workstations) and the RAM is from a previous build that I had lying around. Everything else is new.

I've been trying to troubleshoot the CPU/RAM/Mobo rather than the storage for the majority of last night. I was swapping DIMMS, changing a couple of BIOS settings, and making sure that everything was seated properly whilst also trying to install Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, and Windows 10 for troubleshooting purposes. Ubuntu is failing on the install phase, mostly. I get to the part of the install where it is installing on the SSD, and then the computer abruptly reboots. PSU clicks, and a reboot occurs. I plugged in an old OCZ Agility 3 drive that I haven't touched in years, with Windows 10 on it. The drive is bad, but can occasionally get into Windows. I was able to get in on the second attempt. I ran Prime95 shortly, to ensure that the CPU wasn't overheating (~40C max). I didn't do extensive Prime95 testing though. Went back and ran Memtest over the night, with one DIMM filled (slot closest to CPU, no XMP profile), and the test PASSed, no errors. This morning, I've been able to install and boot Ubuntu to a older 500GB Samsung 860 2.5" SATA SSD. Installation went smooth, as one would expect. I didn't do much in it. Checked the SMART on the NVME SSD in question, and no critical errors or anything, just power off failures. I swapped to the othe, PCIe 3.0 m.2 2280 slot on the motherboard, and the same thing happens for the Team MP44L.

At this point, I don't think it's the PSU or RAM. The RAM is from a previous system that I used personally for a couple of years, and with one DIMM passing memtest, I figure that that should be sufficient to install an OS. The CPU and/or motherboard could possibly still be culprits, as they are interfacing the PCIe busses, but at the same time are interfacing the SATA busses. My current guess is the Team MP44L though. I still haven't finished troubleshooting. Planning on pulling the Samsung 970 EVO 3.0 2TB drive out of my current gaming rig, and trying that as a boot.

Any other things that I should test here? Common troubleshooting tools for a situation like this? BIOS settings that I am missing that are defaults? Is the Team MP44L sounding like the problem here?

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Update: I don't think it's the SSD. Plugged in a new SSD. Lexar NM790 4TB, same result on install. Set active CPU cores to 1, and viola, install success. Possibly too much juice for the 550W PSU being drawn from the CPU? I think the default PL2 is 151W on the 12500.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Think I've narrowed it down to the CPU or Motherboard. I tried alternate known working SSD and PSU. Issue persist without tweaking CPU core count in BIOS or adjusting voltage. My bet is on the motherboard. Wouldn't be the first time I've ordered a new motherboard and have issues.