Question SSD not letting write data more than 13%-15% of its 1TB capacity

Apr 15, 2024
Hey people,
I bought this SSD online worth half the price (it was a discounted offer, so I thought it was maybe legit, foolish of me of course)
It has 1 TB capacity, but it doesn't let me download or copy data onto it if it's filled up more than 120 GB and causes my PC to freeze if I further try to write more data on it.
I do not have my OS installed on it, it's just for storing games.
Now, my questions are:
-Is it a failing drive? (HD sentinel shows both health and performance at 100%, and so do other software)
-Is it formatted to look like a 1TB SSD but is actually just 128gb SSD?
-What is going on? XD

Thanks for help! <3

Solution
What brand model is it? Is it a SATA SSD?

It might be a fake SSD with actual 12GB capacity. I have seen this they just put USB SD Card readers on a USB to SATA adapter board and put that in a SATA SSD enclosure.

EDIT: Wasn't posted earlier for some reason and I'm posting it anyway.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey people,
I bought this SSD online worth half the price (it was a discounted offer, so I thought it was maybe legit, foolish of me of course)
It has 1 TB capacity, but it doesn't let me download or copy data onto it if it's filled up more than 120 GB and causes my PC to freeze if I further try to write more data on it.
I do not have my OS installed on it, it's just for storing games.
Now, my questions are:
-Is it a failing drive? (HD sentinel shows both health and performance at 100%, and so do other software)
-Is it formatted to look like a 1TB SSD but is actually just 128gb SSD?
-What is going on? XD

Thanks for help! <3
Maybe someone ripped you off by selling a 128GB as a 1TB. It is a possibility. Have you looked for manufacturer diagnostic tools?

Reactions: CountMike
Apr 15, 2024
i also want to mention that this SSD used to get automatic repairs on boot up, it doesn't anymore but it opens up its partitions in Windows explorer after logging in

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

It might be a fake SSD with actual 12GB capacity. I have seen this they just put USB SD Card readers on a USB to SATA adapter board and put that in a SATA SSD enclosure.

EDIT: Wasn't posted earlier for some reason and I'm posting it anyway.

Solution
Apr 15, 2024

you are absolutely correct. can i pry it open and put a 1tb sd card in it? haha

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
you are absolutely correct. can i pry it open and put a 1tb sd card in it? haha
I wouldn't. Those are usually cheap flimsy PCBs and questionable controllers. Not designed to act as an SSD or any other decent flash-based storage.

Certainly not designed to last. Just a scam to get money as the low prices are very tempting.

EDIT: I'd rather you assign the best answer/solution to whoever you had chosen earlier who mentioned it's a fake earlier.

Reactions: ZA_Master