Question Star Wars Jedi Survivor locked to 30FPS with Ray Tracing ?

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
It seems like for me, the only way to get 60FPS, at 1080p is to disable ray tracing, DLSS Performance doesn't even fix it. Game is Star Wars Jedi Survivor. Anyone else have this problem? This game should easily get 1080p60 max settings with RTX. No matter what settings I choose, I'm locked to 30 unless I disable RTX. CPU is 3900X, GPU is 4070Ti, 64GB RAM. Why is this happening and hoq do I fix it?

Is that an issue specific to this game? Or other games too?
I'm saying it's mostly this particular game's horrible implementation of such features.

You also have an older CPU, which may hold you back some and require adjusting settings quite a bit. How far along are you in the game? Most know by the time they get to Ramblers Reach Outpost on Koboh how bad it can get.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
I'm saying it's mostly this particular game's horrible implementation of such features.

You also have an older CPU, which may hold you back some and require adjusting settings quite a bit. How far along are you in the game? Most know by the time they get to Ramblers Reach Outpost on Koboh how bad it can get.
I've noticed it already only about an hour into the game. The CPU load isn't even close to bottlenecking it. RTX is done on GPU. That shouldn't matter. If we're locking at 30 at 1080p, I think there's an issue with the game

I've noticed it already only about an hour into the game. The CPU load isn't even close to bottlenecking it. RTX is done on GPU. That shouldn't matter. If we're locking at 30 at 1080p, I think there's an issue with the game
Yes, of COURSE it's the game, that's what I meant by those features not being implemented well by the devs.

I'm also saying you may very well experience other problems when you get to Koboh, as you have a pretty old CPU.

You could try to set it on easiest mode and fast track to Koboh to maybe squeeze in some gameplay there under the 2 hr refund window.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Yes, of COURSE it's the game, that's what I meant by those features not being implemented well by the devs.

I'm also saying you may very well experience other problems when you get to Koboh, as you have a pretty old CPU.

You could try to set it on easiest mode and fast track to Koboh to maybe squeeze in some gameplay there under the 2 hr refund window.
Well, it's only 2 gens old, but it is a 12-core so it should be fine I would think. In most areas, it's only under 55% load with RTX, 25% without, so plenty of head room

Well, it's only 2 gens old, but it is a 12-core so it should be fine I would think. In most areas, it's only under 55% load with RTX, 25% without, so plenty of head room
Well, it may be OK since you're only running the game at 1080p, but what's to come is MUCH more demanding resource wise, and frame rate will no doubt drop in spots. You never said what basic graphics settings you're using though.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Well, it may be OK since you're only running the game at 1080p, but what's to come is MUCH more demanding resource wise, and frame rate will no doubt drop in spots. You never said what basic graphics settings you're using though.
I've got em all maxed. 55% cpu with RTX on, 25 without. But RTX is pointless at 30fps. My resources aren't even under full load and we are stuck at 30. I think this is a game issue no doubt lol. But at 25 and 55 respectively, that leaves loads of headroom

rustigsmed

Distinguished
This game as well as a some other 'newer' games such as Hogwarts / Starfield very easily have cpu bottlenecks - they crave that IPC and clock speed. Only the newest cpus seem to be able to stretch ahead one or 2 gens behind and the cpus aren't able for higher fps. bad coding? who knows but just be aware because it's not showing 99% cpu doesn't mean it's not bottlenecking. when i played this at launch performance was terrible (I think they have improved it somewhat since) but there are some really low fps areas. I would turn off DLSS (as often when heavily cpu bound it can't help you) and max the graphics settings. restart the game afterwards - (when i played it the settings often wouldnt save when you changed them).

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
This game as well as a some other 'newer' games such as Hogwarts / Starfield very easily have cpu bottlenecks - they crave that IPC and clock speed. Only the newest cpus seem to be able to stretch ahead one or 2 gens behind and the cpus aren't able for higher fps. bad coding? who knows but just be aware because it's not showing 99% cpu doesn't mean it's not bottlenecking. when i played this at launch performance was terrible (I think they have improved it somewhat since) but there are some really low fps areas. I would turn off DLSS (as often when heavily cpu bound it can't help you) and max the graphics settings. restart the game afterwards - (when i played it the settings often wouldnt save when you changed them).
This sounds to me like there's issues with the game. This only happens when I turn on RTX, so I don't know. I don't have any issue with any other games

RTX for some reason does seen to impart extra processing on the CPU.

The game also likes powerful CPUs. I noticed a clear improvement in framerates and pacing in going from a 5900x to a 7900x with the same GPU. This was at both 1440p and 4K.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
RTX for some reason does seen to impart extra processing on the CPU.

The game also likes powerful CPUs. I noticed a clear improvement in framerates and pacing in going from a 5900x to a 7900x with the same GPU. This was at both 1440p and 4K.
Ok. But I'm only doing 1080p60. At 1080p60 that shouldn't even be an issue