Question Systems not detecting keyboard/mouse on startup

Jarhead0331

Reputable
Apr 24, 2021
My main work station is powered by two separate rigs - a 12th generation i9 with a 3080ti and a 14th generation i9 with a 4080. Both are running Windows 11 Home Ed. The 3080ti is connected to 3 monitors. The 4080 is connected to a single monitor and a VR headset. The two rigs share the main monitor and all peripherals (ie. mouse, keyboard, HOTAS, etc.) through a KVM and USB switch. More specifically, the mouse and keyboard are plugged into the KVM switch, which has two lines that plug into each computer allowing me to switch between the two rigs. The system worked flawlessly for many months until a few weeks ago.

The problem first started with the 4080. When I powered it up, it stopped detecting the mouse and keyboard on start up. I was eventually able to solve the problem by unplugging the KVM line into the 4080. Once plugged back in, the computer detected the mouse and keyboard and everything works. However, when shutting down, and rebooting, the problem started coming back with greater frequency and now its pretty steady.

This morning, I powered up the 3080ti and had the same problem! I've never had it with the 3080ti before today. The problem was solved the same way, by unplugging the KVM line from the 3080ti and plugging it back in.

Any ideas what could be causing this, or how to troubleshoot it? Its not a show stopper, but having to crawl under my desk to unplug the lines each and every time is getting to be a real pain in the ass. Could the KVM switch be going bad?

Thanks in advance.

Jarhead0331

Reputable
Apr 24, 2021
It's the TESmart HDMI 4K@60hz Ultra HD 2x1 HDMI switch.

One other piece of information that could be helpful. The USB switch is also plugged into the KVM switch. The USB switch connects to my HOTAS, rudder pedals, etc. This is relatively new into the equation. Perhaps the USB switch is causing a conflict?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It's the TESmart HDMI 4K@60hz Ultra HD 2x1 HDMI switch.

One other piece of information that could be helpful. The USB switch is also plugged into the KVM switch. The USB switch connects to my HOTAS, rudder pedals, etc. This is relatively new into the equation. Perhaps the USB switch is causing a conflict?
If you disconnect the switch, does the behavior change? That should be easy to isolate as a variable.

I have a similar KVM (from same company). I never attached other USB devices to it (only keyboard/mouse). This very well could be causing your issues.

Jarhead0331

Reputable
Apr 24, 2021
It's looking like the USB switch is the culprit. I disconnected it from the KVM switch and the mouse and keyboard have been working normally since on both rigs. I'll continue to test for a few days.