Question Toshiba/Dynabook Portege Z30 can't boot UEFI mSATA SSD above 128 GB

May 6, 2024
I am having an issue with a Toshiba Portege Z30 BIOS VER. 6.5 03/06/2018 (latest) Have Windows 10 Pro installed
On a 128 GB mSATA SSD in UEFI mode and that runs fine. TPM and Secure boot off. No fast boot option in this BIOS.

Got a new Kingston 512 GB mSATA SSD to transfer my system to.

Have tried the following:

Migrating my system with DiskGenius, Clonezilla Live, Acronis, etc. the clone/migration goes through with no errors but the new SSD will not boot. I get the

“Insert System disk in drive message”

Tried rebuilding, removing and rebuilding the EFI partition.

Tried with another 512 GB SSD , same issue.

Tried a clean windows install with GPT USB install media. Install goes through with no errors, and same message when booting up the laptop:

"Insert System disk in drive message”

Tried installing in CSM mode and the system does boot with no issues.

I think this is a Toshiba (now Dynabook) BIOS issue.

Either with larger drive sizes (larger than 128 GB). Or perhaps with the newest Windows 10??

So strange that it is currently running WIN 10 PRO in UEFI mode.

Will see if I can install Linux in UEFI mode next to see if it’s a windows issue. Methinks it’s the Toshiba/ Dynabook BIOS though.

Update, tried installing Linux Mint in UEFI mode on the Kingston 512 GB drive, Install goes fine but same error: "Insert System disk in drive" message when booting.

Installed Linux Mint in UEFI mode on 128 GB SSD and this will boot!!

Does anyone know if this model: Toshiba Portege z30 has issues with larger mSATA SSD's in UEFI mode?

May 6, 2024
I suspect that BIOS has a bug that limits the capacity to 28-bit LBA mode when UEFI is selected.
Than you. Interesting. Is there any way around this limitation? I think Toshiba-now Dynabook will probably not update the bios, last bios update 2018. Interestingly enough, after closing the old drive to a new 512 MB, just recently, (I thought I would try it one more time!) it booted the first time but then no more!