Question Unable to Access Router Settings

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I have a Netgear Wireless-N 150 router (WNR1000) that I have inherited from a disconnected home security setup. I would really like to repurpose it, use it rather than toss it, as I do own it now. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 don't get into the router (cable from LAN to ethernet in on my laptop). Times out all the time. Netgear has a web based access point (routerlogin.net), but it takes me know where but the Netgear help page. (not sure it my router's WAN needs to be hooked up to my internet, or just my laptop ... which is connected wirelessly)

That is pretty much trash can salvage. It only has 100mbps ports and I think it only runs on the 2.4g radio band.

So do you know anything about it. Was it actually functional before you got it.

So maybe you get lucky and someone changed the lan IP to some other value.

Leave your pc set to DHCP....ie do not put in a static ip. Plug the pc into a lan port and the try
IPCONFIG /all

What you are looking for is first do you get a IP address...not 169.x.x.x ip. Next look at the gateway IP and try that IP in your browser.

If that does not work you can look up how to do a factory reset. The ip should then be 192.168.1.1...I think there are multiple hardware versions.

Reactions: 35below0

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
This is a 802.11b/g/n router from 2009.

It's also possible that some old routers are not compatible with modern browsers and require IE

Router info.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RangeMax-Wireless-Router-WNR1000-100NAS/dp/B001UI4RTG
  • System Requirement - 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz wireless adapter or Ethernet adapter and cable for each computer, Microsoft Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0 or Safari 1.4 or higher
Use this Firefox 2.0 portable version see if it works

Last edited: