Question Unable to Save BIOS Changes Help Needed!

Title says it all.

I work in I.T. so I have troubleshooted the basics. But lets go over it from the start.

I had an Pro Z690-A MSI motherboard. It came stock with firmware 7D25vA7 which is from 07-04-22. I am able to make changes and save things and it commits changes to BIOS just fine. HOWEVER, in 2022 MSI was pushing some mobo with an unstable OC from the factory. I had one of these boards and I was receiving errors "DecompressShader(): Could not decompress shader (GetShaderCompressionFormat=Oodle)" At first I thought it was related my OS, drivers or the game engine I was playing on. On more research I found this article explaing how MSI had unstable OC from factory and it was causing the issue: https://www.radgametools.com/oodleintel.htm. I was able to verify the problem by installing Intel XTU and changing my pcores from 50 to 51. Boom problem solved never crashed again after that.

However, now that I know what the issue was, I wanted to updated the firmware to remove this bug and also make further changes to the BIOS (like enabling XMP) etc... so I updated to firmware 7D25vAG which is from 01/24/24. Firmware flashed properly, I had no errors or warning. Rebooted fine and it factory reset the BIOS as it should etc... I was able to get into the BIOS after the first flash and change a few settings (like disabling fast boot and cstates). However, I'm now unable to make any further saves to the BIOS. No matter what save options I use, I can make changes and "save" but it wont commit the changes to the BIOS. Everytime I log back into the BIOS it has the same settings i changed earlier. I troubleshooted with MSI and including replacing the CMOS battery, issue remains. MSI agreed to do an RMA so I did that, received the new mobo and installed it, same problem.

I continued to troubleshoot on my own. I found that if I downgraded back to 7D25vA7 firmware from 2022. I can make edits and save the BIOS just fine, zero problems but I moment I upgraded to a newer firmware, the problem would return.

At this point I thought it was a firmware issues with the Pro Z690-A board so I returned it and purchased a Z790 Tomhawk board. Just finshed installing it. Updated the firmware, make 3 changes in the BIOS (disabled fast boot and enabled XMP) rebooted the PC to test XMP OC to see if it was stable (it was not), went back into BIOS to disable XMP and it now wont save again.

Totally different board with the same issue. Its driving me insane and I cant figure out why its doing this.

Anyone have any idea how where else I can look to fix this issue? I can most likely revert the new Z790 board to firmware from 2022 and I bet it will work. If it was a component issue wouldnt this not function if that was the case? This gets to me think the issues are still with MSI firmware but I asked on Reddit and no one replied stating they had similair issues with these boards...

I guess the real question is, is there any other components that could be effecting this outside the board its self and the CMOS? Can the CPU be at fault here? And if so how? Because again, from my understanding those components shouldn't matter when it comes down to editing and saving the BIOS as long as the CPU functions and the BIOS can load.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"Everytime I log back into the BIOS it has the same settings i changed earlier. I troubleshooted with MSI and including replacing the CMOS battery, issue remains."
As an immediate "just in case" try another new CMOS battery.....

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/PROZ690-AWIFIDDR4_PROZ690-ADDR4100x150.pdf

[Verify that I found the applicable motherboard User Guide.]

Doublecheck how BIOS is being reset and updated. Reference physically numbered Pages 29 and 30.

E.g.: "Short the Clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard." How is that being done? Note - Page 24..... Is the jumper removed?

= = = =

And going back a step or two. Reference Page 15 and the requirement to insert DIMMA2 first. (Honestly I do not know if that is relevant with respect to BIOS per se but no harm in eliminating whatever possibilites exist.

All the more so with two motherboards having similar problems.

"Everytime I log back into the BIOS it has the same settings i changed earlier. I troubleshooted with MSI and including replacing the CMOS battery, issue remains."
As an immediate "just in case" try another new CMOS battery.....

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/PROZ690-AWIFIDDR4_PROZ690-ADDR4100x150.pdf

[Verify that I found the applicable motherboard User Guide.]

Doublecheck how BIOS is being reset and updated. Reference physically numbered Pages 29 and 30.

E.g.: "Short the Clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard." How is that being done? Note - Page 24..... Is the jumper removed?

= = = =

And going back a step or two. Reference Page 15 and the requirement to insert DIMMA2 first. (Honestly I do not know if that is relevant with respect to BIOS per se but no harm in eliminating whatever possibilites exist.

All the more so with two motherboards having similar problems.
No it is the DD5 version of the board, not DD4.

As stated I ready cleared the CMOS and even replaced the CMOS battery and RMA the board, received a new one and still having the same issues. I even changed to a Z790 Tomahalk board brand new and still have the same problems. So clearly its not CMOS related.

And no BIOS isnt being reset everytime. As stated before after installing a fresh BIOS update I can modify the BIOS settings once. After that the settings are stuck and I can't modify it further (meaning I can make changes and save it but it wont actually commit the changes, it just reverts back to my previous settings). So it is not jumper related either.

Ralston18

Titan
"I can modify the BIOS settings once."

What specific BIOS settings are being modified and why? Any references regarding those modifications?

When you make the modifications are you sure that those modifications are being saved via some confirmation process requiring a "Save", "Yes", "Okay", or other end user entry/response.

Beyond that I am not sure what else to ask or suggest with respect to narrowing down the possible culprits beyond the BIOS modifications.

Which appear to be the common factor.