Question Updating the BIOS to a beta version ?

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
I have an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon and MSI has been very slow with BIOS updates for it (probably cause it's an older board) and the last version I updated to was released back on 08-05-22 and it was a final release version. On 05-18-23 they released a new Beta version, I just checked on their site now and it's still the latest bios version, the last fully released version is the one I have installed now.

I'm just wondering, is it worth it to update to this beta version or am I better off sticking with the version I have until the new one is fully released?

I have a Ryzen 5800X which I believe could benefit from the update but I'm a little leary about installing a beta version. Especially since I don't have the ability to flash back to older BIOS versions on my board.

Here's the link to the BIOS version/drivers for the board: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/support

I would greatly appreciate some advice

Thanks

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
What makes you think so?
This update note makes me think so: "AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.A. update."

I don't know a lot about BIOS stuff but I've read somewhere the AGESA updates can improve performance on CPU's. I know that I've seen CPU performance improvements before when they updated that.

I could be wrong or misunderstanding what those updates do but I swear that I've read that before.

I don't know a lot about BIOS stuff but I've read somewhere the AGESA updates can improve performance on CPU's. I know that I've seen CPU performance improvements before when they updated that.

I could be wrong or misunderstanding what those updates do but I swear that I've read that before.
AGESA code is mainly for improving or accepting newer CPUs or improving memory control. It's only part of BIOS that AMD has direct control over BIOS. Most of the time it's only change made to BIOS version.
BIOS Description also shows a patch for TPM vulnerability so Windows could require it soon. As it doesn't show any other changes you should be able to use it safely.

Reactions: Kalnon

Most microcode updates generally fix bugs or other issues with the CPU. While this can bring performance improvements in some cases (such as for example, adjusting clock speed behavior), for the most part, these are going to be single digit bumps at best. And even then, most of these fixes are for edge cases the average person may not even encounter.

I mean if you think about it, why would a CPU manufacturer release a product that has "hidden" performance somewhere and all it takes is a microcode update to "unlock" that? This idea that hardware ages like fine wine is just copium.

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
AGESA code is mainly for improving or accepting newer CPUs or improving memory control. It's only part of BIOS that AMD has direct control over BIOS. Most of the time it's only change made to BIOS version.
BIOS Description also shows a patch for TPM vulnerability so Windows could require it soon. As it doesn't show any other changes you should be able to use it safely.
Thank you for explaining this to me, now I really understand what those particular updates do.

I originally bought the 5800X (which is the best possible chip that my board supports) when it was first released and compared to the first BIOS version MSI released for the X470 board that had Ryzen 5000 series compatibility, I've noticed small improvements each and every BIOS version released afterwards.

I think I will update the beta BIOS version then if you believe it should be safe to do so. Now I just have to pray to the PC gods that there isn't a power surge or something when I'm in the process of updating lol

As much as I like my board, I really regret not getting one that has the ability to flash back to old BIOS verions if something goes wrong during the update process though I've been lucky so far that nothings bad has happened yet (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Most microcode updates generally fix bugs or other issues with the CPU. While this can bring performance improvements in some cases (such as for example, adjusting clock speed behavior), for the most part, these are going to be single digit bumps at best. And even then, most of these fixes are for edge cases the average person may not even encounter.

I mean if you think about it, why would a CPU manufacturer release a product that has "hidden" performance somewhere and all it takes is a microcode update to "unlock" that? This idea that hardware ages like fine wine is just copium.
Ok I see, thanks for explaining this to me. I realize the improvements are usually small but they are noticeable to someone paying attention to CPU performance like I do.

I don't believe there is hidden performance to unlock, I just always thought that updating the BIOS coding can sometimes cause improvements in performance.

Reactions: CountMike
Ok I see, thanks for explaining this to me. I realize the improvements are usually small but they are noticeable to someone paying attention to CPU performance like I do.

I don't believe there is hidden performance to unlock, I just always thought that updating the BIOS coding can sometimes cause improvements in performance.
With improved compatibility performance can also improve.

Reactions: Kalnon