Question Vega 56 Bios flashed to 64, crashed to black screen, now won't POST ?

May 11, 2024
I've had a Red Dragon Vega 56 since late 2018. Earlier this year I BIOS flashed it to a Vega 64 BIOS and all was well. I had some hiccups with crashing if I didn't under-volt the card, but otherwise it ran all my games fine with no crashes, BSODs, etc. Yesterday I tried to turn on my PC, I leave it on most of the time, and the screens were black and unresponsive. I rebooted a couple times and my computer booted with the graphics driver disabled. I uninstalled and reinstalled the same driver and I was back in business.

But today I was browsing the internet on Firefox and my screens went black. I tried to reboot and fix the drivers again, but my mobo has the VGA and GPU LEDs lit, indicating there is no GPU installed. I don't have on-board integrated graphics, as it's a Ryzen 5 5600. I can boot into Windows no problem with another GPU installed, RX 480, but the Vega 56 still doesn't show in device manager and AMD's auto detect drivers and GPU-Z don't see it either.

Attempted fix actions:
  1. Full shutdown and flip BIOS switch to known good stock Vega 56 BIOS
  2. Booted to safe mode and used DDU to wipe any driver files and reboot. VGA and GPU LEDs still illuminate if RX 480 is not installed.
  3. Re-seat GPU
  4. Re-seat PSU connections
  5. Swapped PCI-E port
System Hardware:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
  • Mobo: MSI Tomahawk B350
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB x2 3600
  • GPU: Red Dragon Vega 56 (BIOS flashed to 64)
  • Alternate GPU: MSI RX 480 8GB

May 11, 2024
If the system can't see it, there's not much to do, other than maybe try it in another system.

Flashing 56 to 64 is basically an all-hands overclock, from memory to chipset to power. You took the gamble, and this is the downside. At least it's cheap price for lesson learned.
Dang. Didn't know it was that much of a risk. Gamer's Nexus pushed a ton of power through the same model and the card was said to be fairly over built. At least it had a good run. Was hoping for at least another year. I'll give it a try in another system when I get the chance and report back.