Question Very low profile Ram with Normal Ram ?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hi I just wanted to know that can I use very low profile ram and Normal Ram together
You need to post ALL of your system specs. CPU, GPU, motherboard, power supply manufacture and specs, RAM type.
You should never mix any RAM that is not from a matched set. Mixing RAM can cause all sorts of problems or PC won't boot.

May 6, 2024
You need to post ALL of your system specs. CPU, GPU, motherboard, power supply manufacture and specs, RAM type.
You should never mix any RAM that is not from a matched set. Mixing RAM can cause all sorts of problems or PC won't boot.
I have asrock h81m motherboard an i5 4th gen with 4gigs of very low profile Kingston ddr3 1333mhz ram no I want to upgrade it to 12 gigs so I was thinking can I use normal ddr3 ram with it I also have gigabyte gtx 970 4gb graphics card

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I have asrock h81m motherboard an i5 4th gen with 4gigs of very low profile Kingston ddr3 1333mhz ram no I want to upgrade it to 12 gigs so I was thinking can I use normal ddr3 ram with it I also have gigabyte gtx 970 4gb graphics card
Whatever and how many modules you use, make sure the RAM comes as a kit of either 2 or 4 modules.

Hi I just wanted to know that can I use very low profile ram and Normal Ram together
Simple answer... no, not a great idea.
It has nothing to do with high/low profile, but compatibility.
If you want more ram, buy a 2 x 8gb REPLACEMENT kit.

High fancy heat spreaders are not needed and are mostly marketing.

Your plan MIGHT work since Intel is relatively tolerant of mixed ram.
Do you have a plan B in case it does not work properly?

Last edited:
DDR3 is nowhere near as sensitive to timing as DDR4 or 5. As long as you stick relatively close in specs you can mix/match more or less at will with DDR3. Assuming, of course that you can still find DDR3 today.