Question Weird system input lag Issue ?

Nettiebay

Commendable
Sep 7, 2021
Laptop model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR

For a few weeks now, I've been having a really weird occurrence with the above gaming laptop. No real recent changes have been made, however about 2 weeks ago I noticed that around my Mouse Cursor I was getting a buffering/loading wheel, which is still occurring.

The real issue is that as I type, my whole system will lag and not recognize my keystrokes as I enter them...then after about 1 second it will pick them back up. It's like my whole system lags and then un-lags itself...but this occurs every 10 seconds or so, so as you can imagine it's a pain to game with.

I've dealt with a number of problems over the years, but this one is a weird one..and I can't seem to find any similar issues or even able to figure out what the problem is.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or has experienced similar issues themselves.

TYIA for the help!

May 7, 2024
Have you tried with a different keyboard? What does task manager say about CPU usage about when this is happening? Malfunctioning drivers or peripheral devices can also cause hangs, so temporarily disconnect e.g. your mouse, headset, etc.

Lutfij

Titan
What OS are you working with? Using your laptop's support site;
see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

If you're working with Windows 10/11, check and see what your resource usages are like, open up Task Manager>Resource Monitor and see if any resource is pegged to 100% usage.

Speaking if OS's, if you're on Windows 10 or 11, please state the version(not the edition)of the OS.

Nettiebay

Commendable
Sep 7, 2021
Have you tried with a different keyboard? What does task manager say about CPU usage about when this is happening? Malfunctioning drivers or peripheral devices can also cause hangs, so temporarily disconnect e.g. your mouse, headset, etc.
I have! I use an external keyboard, but have tried a different one, this also occurs with my laptop keyboard. I've been monitoring my CPU/Memory/Disk/GPU via Task Manager status and nothing is jumping when this problem is occurring. The issue also is still occurring after unplugging my external keyboard, headphones, and mouse..as I type on my laptop keyboard it still lags for 1 second every 10 seconds or so.

Nettiebay

Commendable
Sep 7, 2021
What OS are you working with? Using your laptop's support site;
see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

If you're working with Windows 10/11, check and see what your resource usages are like, open up Task Manager>Resource Monitor and see if any resource is pegged to 100% usage.

Speaking if OS's, if you're on Windows 10 or 11, please state the version(not the edition)of the OS.
No Bios updates are available currently. I am on Windows 10 - and the only thing that seems unusually high is my Ram Memory (Currently 11.1/16gbs at 72% usage), and I only have google chrome open..however I'd say with everything closed, my ram usage usually idles around 40%-50% usage.

Windows 10 information below:

Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

One thing that can interrupt a pc or laptop at boot up is your anti virus searching the internet and applying the latest updates. I use the excellent ESET anti virus and at boot up if i see a circle rotating round the ESET icon on my taskbar i know it is looking for or applying an update and this sometimes delays what i want to do but not for long.

Other things that can cause delays are microsoft updates happening in the background that you wont know has happened unless you are told to do a restart.

Have a look in task manager to see what loads up at start up as they could also be doing updates that you dont know about.

As Lutfij said .... open up task manager and study it for a while and see if any processes suddenly start running.

FOOTNOTE... you gave more information as i was typing a reply to you , when my pc is doing nothing it is only using 4gb of my 16gb ram so you need to find out why your using 11gb. Have a look in add/remove to see if something is installed that you dont know about.

Nettiebay

Commendable
Sep 7, 2021
One thing that can interrupt a pc or laptop at boot up is your anti virus searching the internet and applying the latest updates. I use the excellent ESET anti virus and at boot up if i see a circle rotating round the ESET icon on my taskbar i know it is looking for or applying an update and this sometimes delays what i want to do but not for long.

Other things that can cause delays are microsoft updates happening in the background that you wont know has happened unless you are told to do a restart.

Have a look in task manager to see what loads up at start up as they could also be doing updates that you dont know about.

As Lutfij said .... open up task manager and study it for a while and see if any processes suddenly start running.

FOOTNOTE... you gave more information as i was typing a reply to you , when my pc is doing nothing it is only using 4gb of my 16gb ram so you need to find out why your using 11gb. Have a look in add/remove to see if something is installed that you dont know about.
I do not have any anti virus program installed, and this problem continues many hours after the initial bootup. My computer is also completely up-to-date and has no pending updates. I've been trying to monitor my CPU and RAM usage closely, but I'm unsure of what processes run in the background and I should not close, everything else looks familar to me. I will attach a screenshot of both my CPU usage, and RAM/Memory Usage with the percentage in descending usage from most to least.

CPU USAGE:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...c328f5a3180f24a9af6526d1912f0143a0c091e7eb60&

CPU Usage

MEMORY USAGE:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...d0ce81c03b9408c562a45d015ba62fad9a9dd9ecc5dd&

Memory Usage

Appreciate everyone's help on this!

May 7, 2024
I do not have any anti virus program installed, and this problem continues many hours after the initial bootup. My computer is also completely up-to-date and has no pending updates. I've been trying to monitor my CPU and RAM usage closely, but I'm unsure of what processes run in the background and I should not close, everything else looks familar to me. I will attach a screenshot of both my CPU usage, and RAM/Memory Usage with the percentage in descending usage from most to least.

CPU USAGE:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...c328f5a3180f24a9af6526d1912f0143a0c091e7eb60&

CPU Usage

MEMORY USAGE:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...d0ce81c03b9408c562a45d015ba62fad9a9dd9ecc5dd&

Memory Usage

Appreciate everyone's help on this!
Due to the consistency of the issue and it seemingly occurring on a periodic basis (every 10 seconds or so as you said) I'm inclined to believe that this is a software issue. You can try a Linux live USB to help verify, but I wouldn't expect to see anything. Troubleshooting something like this might take a while, so if you're looking for a quick solution I would try sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth from an elevated terminal window before proceeding to an OS reinstall.

Nettiebay

Commendable
Sep 7, 2021
Due to the consistency of the issue and it seemingly occurring on a periodic basis (every 10 seconds or so as you said) I'm inclined to believe that this is a software issue. You can try a Linux live USB to help verify, but I wouldn't expect to see anything. Troubleshooting something like this might take a while, so if you're looking for a quick solution I would try sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth from an elevated terminal window before proceeding to an OS reinstall.
I tried both of the above and am still having the same issue unfortunately. The sfc /scannow did find some corrupt files and repaired them, but did not seem to resolve the issue.

I'm hoping to find a resolution before attempting an OS reinstall. Appreciate your help to try and resolve the problem.

May 7, 2024
I tried both of the above and am still having the same issue unfortunately. The sfc /scannow did find some corrupt files and repaired them, but did not seem to resolve the issue.

I'm hoping to find a resolution before attempting an OS reinstall. Appreciate your help to try and resolve the problem.
Actually, we do have a bit of a lead. Sort by RAM usage in task manager and determine what processes are using all that memory, because that's a lot for just Chrome despite how RAM-hungry it is unless you have 100 tabs open. Perhaps try Driver Verifier with the default settings and for all drivers on the device. Oddities caused by drivers wouldn't be easily identified in task manager.

Nettiebay

Commendable
Sep 7, 2021
Actually, we do have a bit of a lead. Sort by RAM usage in task manager and determine what processes are using all that memory, because that's a lot for just Chrome despite how RAM-hungry it is unless you have 100 tabs open. Perhaps try Driver Verifier with the default settings and for all drivers on the device. Oddities caused by drivers wouldn't be easily identified in task manager.
Are you able to click on the link/attached link that is titled "Memory Usage"? A screenshot of my Ram Usage was posted in my reply to MJS Warlord.

I'm having trouble attaching any screenshots and not sure if that worked.

Nettiebay

Commendable
Sep 7, 2021
Tried Driver Verifier as you recommended and my system will now not even boot. I'm having trouble even restoring Windows now. I went from having a completely working $2000 laptop with a small issue, to having a laptop that will now not even work because of your recommendations. Last time I take advice from a stranger.

May 7, 2024
Tried Driver Verifier as you recommended and my system will now not even boot. I'm having trouble even restoring Windows now. I went from having a completely working $2000 laptop with a small issue, to having a laptop that will now not even work because of your recommendations. Last time I take advice from a stranger.
Force shutdown 3 times by holding the power button as Windows is booting, or you should be in recovery already due to the crashes. When prompted with the recovery screen, open command prompt and run the following commands:

Code:
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\VerifyDrivers" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\VerifyDriverLevel" /f

Last edited:
You cant blame others for things you tried that did not work , we give advice on here but at the end of the day it is up to you to decide if you want to do what others have suggested.

You say you dont have any anti virus software , you have a responsibility to others to use anti virus software.
How would you feel if somebody sent you an email or an attachment that had a " worm " in it and it released itself onto your pc and trashed everything , you would not be happy would you.

Once the worm was on your pc it would also replicate itself and infect everyone in your address book.

You did NOT have a completely working pc or you would not have come to this web site seeking help.

One final suggestion and yes its a suggestion NOT an instruction , at a point where you cant do anything do ctrl/alt/del to bring up the blue screen , and the bottom right use the circular power button to do a restart and at the same time hold down your shift key and you will see a different set of recovery options

May 7, 2024
If you're still here, I do apologize for failing to inform you that the purpose of Driver Verifier is to intentionally crash the system if it detects an abnormal condition while recording a crash dump for use in analysis; it otherwise poses little risk to your system other than the boot loop you unfortunately encountered. That should, however, be easily recoverable by following the instructions I provided.

I tend to assume that people coming to this forum have some IT experience unless they state otherwise to avoid coming off as patronizing. There is very little risk of permanent damage to your system when doing most forms of software troubleshooting, though in the future for this specific thing I'll probably recommend that people create a System Restore point so that it's quick and easy to fix if something does go wrong.

Sorry again.