Question what should i look out for when buying used ryzen chips?

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
currently looking at ryzen 5 1400-1600s and ive found a few at good prices, but is there things i should look out for when buying these used ryzen chips?

Lutfij

Titan
What motherboard are you looking to pair with the processor? You should inspect the underside of the CPU for any bent or broken pins. If you're looking at them in person, then it'd be good if you had a portable testbench to test out the processor, put it through it's paces.

Some processors with a faulty Integrated Memory Controller(IMC) will prevent you from using ram in certain slots on the memory.

Reactions: jordanbuilds1

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
What motherboard are you looking to pair with the processor? You should inspect the underside of the CPU for any bent or broken pins. If you're looking at them in person, then it'd be good if you had a portable testbench to test out the processor, put it through it's paces.

Some processors with a faulty Integrated Memory Controller(IMC) will prevent you from using ram in certain slots on the memory.
MSI A320M-A Pro mATX

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
You may not be a windows 11 fan but they’ll turn off updates for windows 10 next year. So basically I’m just kind of the opinion that folks will need to migrate over to it. I’ve been using it for a year or two and it’s not a bad os. And you can move the start menu to the left.
fair point, the church i work at uses it, but i really cringed when they added ads to the start page.