Question Will the Intel i5 12400F Bottleneck an ASUS Tuf 4070 Super OC? Is a Thermaltake GF3 750W ATX 3.0 PSU Sufficient for the GPU?

LoneGreyWolf20

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I have decided to upgrade my system, I had an AMD Radeon 6700XT paired with the 12400F, but kept having issues with the drivers crashing. So, I put my older RTX 2070 Super into my PC till I could upgrade.

I purchased the above GPU and PSU last night and was double-checking that everything should be good. I will be gaming at 1440p. Mostly play Ark: Survival Ascended.

Also, the PSU has a "dedicated" 12vhpwr connector. Do I just use this single cable/connector/port to connect to the GPU?

Lutfij

Titan
I purchased the above GPU and PSU last night and was double-checking that everything should be good. I will be gaming at 1440p.
You ask before you buy, not the other way around, though just for the sake of relevance, use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD), then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If your PSU has a native connection for 12VHPWR, then by all means, use it. Just make sure that the connectors on both ends(PSU and GPU) are fully seated.

LoneGreyWolf20

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
You ask before you buy, not the other way around

I realize that is optimal, but wanted the card delivered today and didn't have time to ask before purchasing.

use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD)

Have been doing this for a long time now. Thank you, though!

then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

This is new information. Thank you!

I can still return items as I haven't opened the boxes yet. Will the CPU I have cause issues for the GPU?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
To your questions:

1. Yes-ish. Not enough to be a concern. If you can, grab a 12600K or 13600K + air cooler (Arctic 36 or Peerles Assassin will set you back ~$35-40)
But the "bottleneck" as such, is tiny. You're ok with the 12400F.

2. Yes. It'll be fine. An 850 would handle very heavy GPU workloads better and a 1000 would allow you to upgrade the GPU, but for now, for right here and right now, your PSU is a-ok.

What is your motherboard?

LoneGreyWolf20

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
1. Yes-ish. Not enough to be a concern. If you can, grab a 12600K or 13600K + air cooler (Arctic 36 or Peerles Assassin will set you back ~$35-40)

I will have to wait to upgrade my CPU. Buying the GPU and PSU last night was enough for my fiance to question my life choices! Not really! She does understand, but we have a cruise to save up for our honeymoon in 2025 and a trip up to Upstate, NY over Christmas.

I have a closed-loop water cooler for my CPU currently. I know that it is overkill for the CPU that I have, but I have used them for a very long time now and it is my go-to for CPU cooling. The current one that I have is the Thermalright Frozen Notte 360 ARGB Water Cooling CPU Cooler.

What is your motherboard?

AsRock B660 Steel Legend LGA 1700.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
The 12400 will be fine. It is still a good CPU. I use a 9900k at 1440p with a 4070 super and whilst I could get better fps with a newer CPU I am still getting a great experience on a high refresh rate monitor.

I think a 12400 and 6700xt is a good combo to be honest. Each game will be different- some more cpu intensive - some more gpu.

Enjoy your games and if you get to the stage where things are not what you need then consider an upgrade. The difference between want and need can be significant

LoneGreyWolf20

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I think a 12400 and 6700xt is a good combo to be honest.

I had too many issues with that Radeon card. Black screens because the video driver would crash, having to hard reboot the PC. Having to disable and enable the GPU in the device manager, then redo the settings sometimes in the Radeon driver after it crashed. There have been far fewer crashes and only crashes where the game crashes with the Nvidia card installed.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I had too many issues with that Radeon card. Black screens because the video driver would crash, having to hard reboot the PC. Having to disable and enable the GPU in the device manager, then redo the settings sometimes in the Radeon driver after it crashed. There have been far fewer crashes and only crashes where the game crashes with the Nvidia card installed.
Right my apologies. The 4070 super is a more powerful card anyway so the previous comments still apply. You have a more powerful CPU than I do and a similar card so enjoy it. I know I am

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I will have to wait to upgrade my CPU. Buying the GPU and PSU last night was enough for my fiance to question my life choices! Not really! She does understand, but we have a cruise to save up for our honeymoon in 2025 and a trip up to Upstate, NY over Christmas.

I have a closed-loop water cooler for my CPU currently. I know that it is overkill for the CPU that I have, but I have used them for a very long time now and it is my go-to for CPU cooling. The current one that I have is the Thermalright Frozen Notte 360 ARGB Water Cooling CPU Cooler.

AsRock B660 Steel Legend LGA 1700.
Every CPU + GPU pairing will be unequal. One always "bottlenecks" the other. The question is does it make enough of a difference. I don't think it does in your case.

The top CPU you could fit into that board would be 13600K (or 14600K if price is the same). So if one drops in price some day, pick it up and enjoy the boost.