Question XFX Rx 580 showing graphical glitches on motherboard splash screen

Nem1x

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Yesterday I got XFX RX 580 4G from my friend. I decided to replace my GTX 1650 with it. I wiped drivers with DDU, and went to replace GPU. After replacement I turn on the PC and I was presented with these graphics glitches on splash screen (Gigabyte Logo) and in Windows itself. I continued with installing drivers hoping these glitches will be gone. And so they did. I tested battlefield 1 and CS:GO for multiple hours and I saw no problems at all. I also run Ungine Heaven Bencmark for 30 minutes and I didn't saw any problems there either. But one problem remained and that it glitches on splash screen when restarting or powering on PC. I tried resetting BIOS but it didn't help. I will attach you video and picture of those glitches. Keep in mine these only happen on splash screen (gigabyte logo), while UEFI works fine.

Photo
Video

In this video there's no glitch on Gigabyte logo, and that's another thing to note, once you enter UEFI and reboot it won't show glitches until you turn the PC off. But this "box" will always show up. Gigabyte logo will look exactly like this desktop photo sometimes.

Nem1x

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
I tried changing monitor but that didn't help.
Entering bios fixes the problem temporary (until I shut down my pc).
I did more testing and I found no problems with GPU when gaming.
I was thinking if it could be PCI express slot that's causing that issue, or I didn't insert the gpu properly, but that would probably cause it not to show anything on the monitor.

I had a similar problem with an RX 5700 XT. After discussing it with Jim from AdoredTV and showing him a video of the card's behaviour, he was certain that it was malfunctioning VRAM. I sent the card back to XFX for RMA and the replacement card has been perfect.

Nem1x

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
I had a similar problem with an RX 5700 XT. After discussing it with Jim from AdoredTV and showing him a video of the card's behaviour, he was certain that it was malfunctioning VRAM. I sent the card back to XFX for RMA and the replacement card has been perfect.
I would think the same. But the moment you install driver it works as it should. Even bios works normally. But motherboard splash screen or windows without a driver installed show these artifacts. I just tried booting into bios then booting into windows safe mode, and there're no graphical glitches (until you shut the pc down)

I would think the same. But the moment you install driver it works as it should. Even bios works normally. But motherboard splash screen or windows without a driver installed show these artifacts. I just tried booting into bios then booting into windows safe mode, and there're no graphical glitches (until you shut the pc down)
Yeah, when Windows did load, it was fine. The problem was that over a week, it happened less and less often until it wouldn't work at all. Now, I don't know for sure if you have the same problem or if your problem is even progressive like mine was. What is the same however, is the presence of weird symbols on the splash screen (Gigabyte logo for you, ASRock logo for me).

Nem1x

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Yeah, when Windows did load, it was fine. The problem was that over a week, it happened less and less often until it wouldn't work at all. Now, I don't know for sure if you have the same problem or if your problem is even progressive like mine was. What is the same however, is the presence of weird symbols on the splash screen (Gigabyte logo for you, ASRock logo for me).
I don't think it's progressive like in your case. I didn't notice any weird behavior in the past 10 days. I will try with another motherboard if I get time to do so.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Nem1x

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
So I decided to reboot to safe mode (where glitches are present everywhere) and take a screenshot using lightshot. The result I got was perfectly fine png as attached despite glitches showing on monitor. I am not sure what this means but still, the GPU so far works without any issues. The glitch I found within Windows + driver installed it in CS:GO around mouse cursor (in 4:3 resolution only), and in Rainbow Six Siege when loading weapons / gadgets in main menu (it shows glitch once and never again until you relaunch the game).

So I decided to reboot to safe mode (where glitches are present everywhere) and take a screenshot using lightshot. The result I got was perfectly fine png as attached despite glitches showing on monitor. I am not sure what this means but still, the GPU so far works without any issues. The glitch I found within Windows + driver installed it in CS:GO around mouse cursor (in 4:3 resolution only), and in Rainbow Six Siege when loading weapons / gadgets in main menu (it shows glitch once and never again until you relaunch the game).

run a benchmark like heaven benchmark

use hw monitor to see if its overheating while gaming

to me it looks like once theres any serious load in the memory side of the gpu it artifacts.

also check the card and see if its been open before. could be poor contact on the memory chips also.