[SOLVED] Zotac 1050ti stopped working after unexpected shutdown ?

Jul 22, 2020
Mobo: Gigabyte H81 S2PV
Ram: 2x 4gb DDr3 1333Mhz
GPU: Zotac 1050ti mini
PSU: corsair cv450 (I had a nonbrand 550-watt power supply when the problem starts)
(I use an HDMI to VGA converter for my GPU )

Everything was running fine, but one afternoon after an unexpected shutdown, I found out that my GPU isn't working anymore. So I packed it in its box and start using my integrated graphics
After a few weeks, out of curiosity, I connected my GPU to the system and it worked (With my old nonbrand PSU). It was working fine for 10 to13 days.
Then one afternoon I restarted my PC and the same problem started- there is no display on GPU. I kept the PC shut down for the rest of the day. The next morning I boot up my PC, GPU works fine again. But after a few hours when I shut down and boot up the PC it wasn't working anymore. The next morning GPU didn't work at all. So this time I left it for a long time and uninstall the Nvidia driver.

Yesterday I bought a corsair cv450, Connected to GPU and everything is working fine. Reinstall the Nvidia driver played some games and went to bed. Next morning, guess what happened? It's now working again.

Now my question is, what is the problem and how to fix it?

Solution
Well my experience says the gpu works fine if I left it unplugged for few days.
That crappy
PSU IS THE MAIN REASON FOR THIS I think.
I have no warranty left. Do you think its possible to repair it?

It's unlikely. Even if you could, it would cost much more to have fixed than to buy a new GPU.

There's nothing more expensive than a cheap PSU, which is why we steer people away from them as best we can.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 sections to a video card. The vram/VRM's areas and the graphics processing unit (gpu). Gpu is a misnomer ppl use, it in itself is just the processor but ppl shorten that to cover the whole card.

However, there's actually only one thermal reader on a card, inside the gpu just like the cpu. There's no thermal readers on the rest of the card unlike a motherboard.

So when the gpu says it's 60°C, that's just the gpu, not the vram/VRM's area which can easily reach 90°C+ and you have absolutely no clue. I suspect that's what's happening, either the old psu has shipped such crappy voltage to the card that it's damaged the vrms/vram or there's a factory defect in that area (bad solder finally gave out) and you had no warning.

The VS might not be the best psu on the market, but for a 1050ti it's absolutely far better than the no-name brand you had prior. But I'd also have to say the gpu is not right and needs warranty repair/replacement.

Reactions: sawon2403
Jul 22, 2020
That crappy

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That crappy

It's unlikely. Even if you could, it would cost much more to have fixed than to buy a new GPU.

There's nothing more expensive than a cheap PSU, which is why we steer people away from them as best we can.

Solution