Question “WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error” BSOD after gaming / streaming / idling ?

tbhcam

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
Hey all,

I posted on here a while back. I thought I had the issue fixed, but it’s still persisting.

To summarize, my computer has been suffering with a “Whea_Uncorrectable_Error” BSOD for as long as I can remember, probably the past 3 years. Every time I think I fixed it, it just ends up happening again and again.

I’ve been told it’s probably a hardware issue. So far, I’ve replaced the CPU and the RAM. When i replaced the CPU it lasted about a year, replacing the RAM did nothing. I changed the power strip and it lasted a little while. I’ve also fully reset / wiped my computer with a fresh reinstall of Windows. After doing the fresh install, it did it again almost immediately. I’ve also did a fresh graphics driver install before I did the Windows reinstall. I’ve ran stress tests and all.

Also, sometimes if I try to turn the computer on immediately after the bluescreen, my monitors are just black. And the CPU light on my motherboard turns on.

I’m completely out of ideas. I don’t know if there’s a way to narrow down what piece of hardware it might be, because I don’t wanna replace everything and suddenly it still doesn’t fix it and that’s money wasted.

If anyone has any sort of suggestions I appreciate it.

Computer specs:

Motherboard - MSI Z390 Pro
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super - EVGA BLACK
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K 8 Cores 4.9 GHz Turbo 300 Series (3.6 GHz)
CPU Cooler - Deepcool Gammaxx GTE
PSU - Seasonic S12II 620W Bronze
RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200 MHz
SSD - Intel 660p 1TB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Since you replaced your cpu and ram, and reinstalled Windows, you could try to exclude, or find the culprit of, the remaining hardware. First thing I would do is remove the gpu and see if it starts and runs with the cpu graphics. If you get the same bsod then it is not your gpu. Do you have another psu, yes I know it is labor intensive to change out a psu, to test with? Another question is whether your motherboard bios is up to date? Unplugging the hard drive form you pc is another piece of hardware to check. If none of these things pan out it just may be your motherboard is the problem.

tbhcam

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
Since you replaced your cpu and ram, and reinstalled Windows, you could try to exclude, or find the culprit of, the remaining hardware. First thing I would do is remove the gpu and see if it starts and runs with the cpu graphics. If you get the same bsod then it is not your gpu. Do you have another psu, yes I know it is labor intensive to change out a psu, to test with? Another question is whether your motherboard bios is up to date? Unplugging the hard drive form you pc is another piece of hardware to check. If none of these things pan out it just may be your motherboard is the problem.
I was able to boot into safe mode w/ networking to get an updated version of my bios to flash. After it got done I booted into windows and after about 2 minutes it ended up doing the BSOD again. I’ll have to try your suggestions when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
I am more-so leaning to the side that it is a hardware issue myself. after some digging i have read that there are a few problems that have arisen over the years with that particular motherboard.

1. ram compatability. that board does not seem to like any ram with rgb.
2. ram xmp profiles cause bsod or boot loop
3. southbridge chipset overheating ~ causes bsod; (fix - remove heatsync and replace thermal pad. also can replace southbridge heatsync to something with a fan from another compatable msi board.)
4. bios fan controller auto reverting to default settings even with custom profiles saved

do you have the cpu overclocked at all? ram running in xmp? what speed is your ram and what is it running at?
run a "memtest" on each stick of memory; one at a time, remove and re-seat your gpu, remove and re-seat your cpu, in a last case scenario i would check the ground points for the motherboard to the case, and then see if a new power supply will alleviate the problem.

what specific uncorrectable error? #?

have you checked that your bios revision is the current newest one?
all motherboard drivers and chipset packages are installed from msi's website for that board?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z390-A-PRO/support

in windows ~ to check status of your file system for corruption complete the following;
search ~ CMD .. right click and run as admin

type~
sfc /scannow
...let it run

type~
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

type~
exit
run nvidia DDR to completely uninstall the graphics card and reinstall the latest driver pack for it.

ensure ALL drivers are up to date.

most other techs frown on it. but i use a program called "iobit-driver booster". i install the free version typically on a fresh install, or on a pc that i have troubleshooted to the point the problem is driver related. I use this program to only update the drivers, and then uninstall it. i have found over the past 6-7 years it is about 99.9% accurate with driver packs.

Reactions: tbhcam

tbhcam

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
I am more-so leaning to the side that it is a hardware issue myself. after some digging i have read that there are a few problems that have arisen over the years with that particular motherboard.

1. ram compatability. that board does not seem to like any ram with rgb.
2. ram xmp profiles cause bsod or boot loop
3. southbridge chipset overheating ~ causes bsod; (fix - remove heatsync and replace thermal pad. also can replace southbridge heatsync to something with a fan from another compatable msi board.)
4. bios fan controller auto reverting to default settings even with custom profiles saved

do you have the cpu overclocked at all? ram running in xmp? what speed is your ram and what is it running at?
run a "memtest" on each stick of memory; one at a time, remove and re-seat your gpu, remove and re-seat your cpu, in a last case scenario i would check the ground points for the motherboard to the case, and then see if a new power supply will alleviate the problem.

what specific uncorrectable error? #?

have you checked that your bios revision is the current newest one?
all motherboard drivers and chipset packages are installed from msi's website for that board?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z390-A-PRO/support

in windows ~ to check status of your file system for corruption complete the following;
search ~ CMD .. right click and run as admin

type~
sfc /scannow
...let it run

type~
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

type~
exit
run nvidia DDR to completely uninstall the graphics card and reinstall the latest driver pack for it.

ensure ALL drivers are up to date.

most other techs frown on it. but i use a program called "iobit-driver booster". i install the free version typically on a fresh install, or on a pc that i have troubleshooted to the point the problem is driver related. I use this program to only update the drivers, and then uninstall it. i have found over the past 6-7 years it is about 99.9% accurate with driver packs.
Thank you for this!! I’m waiting on my computer to BSOD again but then I will definitely start to look into it again! I will say I have updated my BIOS, my cpu isn’t overclocked, and done the memtest too. I don’t see a specific error # besides I went into the registry so that there’s codes on the top left of the screen and the top code is just the 0x00000000000. I’ve also done the sfc scannow. The other stuff I will definitely look into!!