• AMD to Win Cyberdyne Systems Processor Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkhon

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Isn't this the opening scene of one of the Terminator films?[/citation]

The Terminator films were just that--films. We're still many years away from even having the technology to be able to do those sorts of things with computers, and even when we are, we're almost definitely going to have regulations. Look at the regulations and restrictions that are already placed on stem cell research, despite the overwhelming potential pay-offs involved.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Stem cell research is banned because ignorant christian groups that run this country don't like abortion. To them, any time they hear the word "stem cells", they instantly connect it to "dead fetus".

arkhon

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Stem cell research is banned because ignorant christian groups that run this country don't like abortion. To them, any time they hear the word "stem cells", they instantly connect it to "dead fetus".[/citation]

Right, and there will inevitably be quite strong opposition to true AI by people who hear Artificial Intelligence and think Terminator.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Stem cell research is banned because ignorant christian groups that run this country don't like abortion. To them, any time they hear the word "stem cells", they instantly connect it to "dead fetus".[/citation]

No shit Sherlock!

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I didnt know AMD was behind skynet, its those damn opterons that made it self aware. Sarah conner had it wrong, she needs to bomb AMD headquaters.
Terminator 4 was a good movie btw.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Isn't this the opening scene of one of the Terminator films?[/citation]
Exactly what I was thinking - the irony. Even more so, the guy's last name in the article "Dyson" - the chief AI designer in the second movie was Miles Dyson lol.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007

First of all why the heck did you even bring this up? Secondly stem cell research doesn't even require aborted fetuses they were just a easy method to obtain them. And third and most importantly there was never a ban on the research itself. The only ban that was in place was not allowing federal funding to aid the research which has been lifted.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
“These wild and speculative claims are nothing more than fear mongering and delusions of a paranoid mind. Do you remember that poor, insane woman a few years ago who was caught vandalizing Cyberdyne headquarters? She believed the company was going to cause the end of the world and said that robots from the future were out to get her. That’s the kind of mindset we’re dealing with here, pain and simple crazies.”

I guess May 23rd is the new April fools day. If any1 seriously thinks this is real......um......... Ur sad.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, that guy does seem a bit crazy. The current tech is so simple and far removed from the tech in the Terminator movies it's ridiculous.

Not saying if I'm for or against the android idea, we simply don't know how that will turn out. I'm more for the exoskeleton and other human enhancing tech (Ghost in the Shell anyone?).

Beyond that I'd rather remove the need for war altogether, but it never ends up being as simple as that. I'll take diplomacy over violence any day.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
hope people realize the meaning and importance of "open source" when talking about things such as software and even a.i . i would even like to pay for software but it should be open source for the sake of being sure it wasnt doing anything that i did not want it to do .

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
all the evolving technologies now need to be open source , like the internet and firefox .

i wouldnt mind being on an strict license and paying for it , but it should be trustable . a product deserves neither undue criticism nor undue trust and/or good faith that way , be it a robot or a software .

of course there are intellectual property issues with open sourcing , as enforcing ipr would be tougher with open source . people could study my code and use it in some other way and all that , who all would i track around the world ? ....

optical10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2005
peps you havent lived until youve heard your PC read, ...."That’s the kind of mindset we’re dealing with here, pain and simple crazies.”

LOL , thank you TOMS

Status
Not open for further replies.